Needham Public Schools Superintendent's Update superintendents_update at lists.needham.k12.ma.us
Tue May 18 11:11:16 UTC 2021

Dear Needham Public Schools Families:

Yesterday Governor Baker announced some upcoming changes to COVID-19 Health
and Safety protocols:  Governor's May 17th Updated Guidance
<https://www.mass.gov/news/baker-polito-administration-to-lift-covid-restrictions-may-29-state-to-meet-vaccination-goal-by-beginning-of-june>
.

The Department of Elementary & Secondary Education (DESE) also released
guidance to complement the Governor's announcement: DESE Guidance May 17th
<https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UErmwWNEV4avtJGyOX8S4uQLylrQ3mY5/view?usp=sharing>.
The
key component in the guidance is that the requirement for students to wear
masks outdoors while engaged in school activities has been relaxed.

While DESE specifies that these revised measures go into effect today
Tuesday, May 18th, *the Needham Public Schools will not be implementing the
new guidance immediately. Students will continue to wear face
coverings/masks outdoors in accordance with existing NPS health protocols
until we implement the new guidance. (High school athletes, however, may
receive new guidance regarding masks as early as today based on a vote of
the Massachusetts Interscholastic Athletic Association or MIAA.)*

Last evening I consulted with the district's Joint Committee on Health and
Safety to review this guidance and discuss the implications for students
and staff and on school operations, particularly as they relate to existing
NPS health and safety measures.

Tonight at the School Committee's regularly scheduled meeting I will ask
the Needham School Committee to revise its Face Coverings Policy (EBCFA)
<https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EhakEmXkX37pnmOkMsazXG9MFVXL9IUZ/view?usp=sharing>
that was instituted last September to reflect the updated guidance.
Assuming the School Committee revises its policy, the new guidance would
likely take effect later this week but not until I have an opportunity to
provide clear communication to our staff and families. I expect to be able
to provide this guidance later this week.

A change in the face covering/mask protocol that provides an option for
students is a good thing and is another step toward normalcy. I appreciate
your patience as the district ensures an appropriate plan is developed and
communicated so that all students, families, and staff will continue to
feel healthy and safe at school.

Respectfully,

Dan Gutekanst
Superintendent of Schools
Needham Public Schools
1330 Highland Avenue, Needham, MA 02492
781-455-0400 x11203
dan_gutekanst at needham.k12.ma.us

ATTENTION: If you speak a language other than English, language assistance
services are available to you free of charge. Contact your child’s school
for assistance.

Chinese (Simplified): 请注意:如果您的母语不是英语,我们将免费提供您语言辅助服务。如需协助,请与您孩子 的学校联系。

Spanish: ATENCION: Si usted habla un idioma que no sea el inglés, hay
servicios de asistencia lingüística disponibles gratis. Contacte la escuela
de su hijo para asistencia.

Russian: ВНИМАНИЕ: Если вы не говорите на английском языке, для вас
доступны бесплатные языковые сервисы на вашем языке. Обратитесь за помощью
в школу, в которой учится ваш ребенок.