Needham Public Schools Superintendent's Update superintendents_update at lists.needham.k12.ma.us
Mon May 3 13:36:32 UTC 2021

Dear Needham Public Schools Families:

Allow me to share a few brief updates:

*• Students Return to Full Time Instruction *With gratitude and excitement,
we have been very pleased to welcome our students back to full time
instruction over the last several weeks.  Today high school students began
the process of returning on a full time basis, and the smiles on their
faces this morning indicate that they are ready and eager!  I continue to
appreciate the efforts of our teachers and school staff for making this a
reality as well as the exceptional collaboration and partnership families
and parents have demonstrated throughout the year.  Please check out
reports to the School Committee about our elementary return to full time
<https://drive.google.com/file/d/18LhGuum3FmqV1u6JsEYzrXzEwjnat-kQ/view?usp=sharing>
instruction and the middle school return to full time
<https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1hGbkfpz6t56jyzS3OLAHPJ4I1ebbqFYNFIWRi2I-YSI/edit?usp=sharing>
instruction.  I will report on the high school's return at tomorrow's
School Committee meeting.

*• Let's Get REAL! *The district's REAL Coalition
<http://www.needham.k12.ma.us/equity/r_e_a_l_coalition> (Race, Equity,
Access, Leadership) is committed to making progress on a coordinated and
thoughtful plan to address racial equity and equity for all in the Needham
Public Schools. This work is aligned with the Portrait of A Needham
Graduate, the district's five-year strategic plan
<http://www.needham.k12.ma.us/UserFiles/Servers/Server_64429/File/District/Portrait%20Strategic%20Plan.pdf>.
Although the work is never easy, the district will keep going forward
with a sense of urgency.

On behalf of the REAL Coalition Steering Committee, I have the privilege of
launching *Let's get REAL
<https://www.canva.com/design/DAEbk6ajY7E/cbD-7YEjKqteyCusG4PwGw/view?utm_content=DAEbk6ajY7E&utm_campaign=designshare&utm_medium=link&utm_source=sharebutton>
- *a communication dedicated to keeping you apprised of our work with the
School Committee, staff, parents, community members, and especially
students, to build on our assets and tackle the challenges of ensuring
racial equity and equity for all. Please check out this first issue
<https://www.canva.com/design/DAEbk6ajY7E/cbD-7YEjKqteyCusG4PwGw/view?utm_content=DAEbk6ajY7E&utm_campaign=designshare&utm_medium=link&utm_source=sharebutton>
and
reach out to any of our 18 REAL Coalition Steering Committee members listed
in the newsletter if you have questions or a request for more information
and support.

*• Needham Schools Spotlight *The latest cable show
<http://www.needham.k12.ma.us/news/what_s_new/needham_schools_spotlight>
features School Committee members Andrea Longo Carter and Connie Barr
sharing some of the challenges and opportunities we confronted during this
last school year.  Check it out: Needham Schools Spotlight
<http://www.needham.k12.ma.us/news/what_s_new/needham_schools_spotlight>

*• Superintendent's Blog  *My latest blog post highlights our race equity
efforts in the Needham Public Schools.  Read on: Superintendent's Blog
<http://npssuperintendent.blogspot.com/>

Finally, even as we continue to focus on returning our students to classes
full time, we are also planning for next school year.  Stay tuned for
additional updates about our efforts and an opportunity for a virtual
family/parent meeting to share further planning and to hear your questions
and ideas.

Respectfully,

Dan Gutekanst
Superintendent of Schools
Needham Public Schools
1330 Highland Avenue, Needham, MA 02492
781-455-0400 x11203
dan_gutekanst at needham.k12.ma.us

ATTENTION: If you speak a language other than English, language assistance
services are available to you free of charge. Contact your child’s school
for assistance.

Chinese (Simplified): 请注意:如果您的母语不是英语,我们将免费提供您语言辅助服务。如需协助,请与您孩子 的学校联系。

Spanish: ATENCION: Si usted habla un idioma que no sea el inglés, hay
servicios de asistencia lingüística disponibles gratis. Contacte la escuela
de su hijo para asistencia.

Russian: ВНИМАНИЕ: Если вы не говорите на английском языке, для вас
доступны бесплатные языковые сервисы на вашем языке. Обратитесь за помощью
в школу, в которой учится ваш ребенок.