Needham Public Schools Superintendent's Update superintendents_update at lists.needham.k12.ma.us
Wed Mar 17 15:02:16 UTC 2021

Dear Needham Public Schools Families:

I am pleased to report that last night the Needham School Committee
approved my recommendation to reopen our elementary, middle, and high
schools
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Q6delAPD84FeaQWI5AQZ7tlLozNvTjb4eJaHL0RjUyo/edit?usp=sharing>
to full time instruction according to the following timetable:

• *Elementary Schools* (K-5) Monday, April 5th
• *Middle Schools* (6-8) Thursday, April 15th
• *High School* (9-12) *Staggered start:* Grades 9 and 12 Monday, May 3rd;
grades 10 and 11 Monday, May 10th; all students, May 17th

We will build on the extraordinary work of our K-2 teachers and staff who
have already successfully returned to school full time to guide a safe
return to school this spring for all of our students. Preschool students
will likely remain in their existing hybrid schedule; and students who are
enrolled in the Remote Learning Academy, K-12, will continue to learn
remotely for the remainder of the school year.

There are significant logistical issues and concerns that must be worked
out by the administrative and teaching staff over the coming weeks, and I
look forward to updating families in the weeks ahead. Principals will also
provide more detailed information and plans as they unfold. Rest assured
that in all of our planning we will prioritize the health and safety of our
students and staff and use our rigorous health protocols to guide all of
our efforts.

Also, we have recently updated our contact tracing and quarantine protocols
to be aligned with the MA Department of Public Health and Town of Needham
Public Health guidance. You may review the protocol here: COVID 19
Situation Chart
<http://www.needham.k12.ma.us/UserFiles/Servers/Server_64429/File/District/COVID%20SITUATION%20CHARTS.pdf>.
For more information about our health and measures, please check out
the district's
website
<http://www.needham.k12.ma.us/departments/superintendent_s_office/plans_for_reopening_our_schools/health___safety>
.

I will host a family meeting on Thursday, March 25th at 6:00 p.m.
<https://needham-k12-ma-us.zoom.us/j/87567653790?pwd=SzAyNW5zMzRMMG9ZenF2MzZtajI4Zz09>
to update families about our full time school reopening planning efforts
and respond to questions and comments. I hope you can join me.

Thank you for your continued patience and partnership as we support the
amazing young people of the Needham Public Schools.

Respectfully,

Dan Gutekanst
Superintendent of Schools
Needham Public Schools
1330 Highland Avenue, Needham, MA 02492
781-455-0400 x11203
dan_gutekanst at needham.k12.ma.us

ATTENTION: If you speak a language other than English, language assistance
services are available to you free of charge. Contact your child’s school
for assistance.

Chinese (Simplified): 请注意:如果您的母语不是英语,我们将免费提供您语言辅助服务。如需协助,请与您孩子 的学校联系。

Spanish: ATENCION: Si usted habla un idioma que no sea el inglés, hay
servicios de asistencia lingüística disponibles gratis. Contacte la escuela
de su hijo para asistencia.

Russian: ВНИМАНИЕ: Если вы не говорите на английском языке, для вас
доступны бесплатные языковые сервисы на вашем языке. Обратитесь за помощью
в школу, в которой учится ваш ребенок.