Needham Public Schools Superintendent's Update superintendents_update at lists.needham.k12.ma.us
Thu Mar 18 19:44:49 UTC 2021

Dear Needham Public Schools Families:

The horrific news this week of the murders of eight people in Atlanta, six
of them women of Asian descent, has shocked the nation and, locally,
unsettled many Needham students, families, and staff. While the
investigation is ongoing and the motivations of the individual arrested
will unfold, here is what we know in the moment:

   -

   The victims of this brutal act are mostly women of Asian descent, and
   this fact has prompted many Needham staff and families who are Asian or
   Asian-American to worry about their students or themselves. There is a
   palpable level of anxiety and concern for impacted staff, for example, who
   stand before their students trying to calmly explain these events and
   reassure students even when they have trouble comforting their own children
   and family members.
   -

   Nationally, according to the Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders (AAPI)
   <https://aapidata.com/>, incidents of bias and hate against Asians and
   Asian-Americans have increased in the last year, mostly due to unfounded
   fears over the origin of COVID-19. Locally, there have been incidents
   within our own community or the Needham Schools that have impacted our
   Asian and Asian-American students.  These incidents were the direct result
   of these baseless claims and fears over the pandemic.
   -

   The Needham Public Schools is committed to supporting all students,
   including students of color who have been disproportionately impacted by
   acts of bias, prejudice, and hate.  As a district, we have established a
   framework, the Portrait of a Needham Graduate
   <http://www.needham.k12.ma.us/UserFiles/Servers/Server_64429/File/District/Portrait%20Strategic%20Plan.pdf>,
   to ensure all students develop the skills and competencies necessary to
   respect and appreciate the unique gifts and talents all people - regardless
   of race, gender, or background - bring to each other and to our school
   community.
   -

   We will continue to use our curriculum and school programs, including,
   for example, our elementary Racial Literacy
   <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ICdaNEWcAaw0mcrBIThHto3BqZQbTqR9KnWMYoFRk8E/edit>
   curriculum and the secondary level’s Courageous Conversations On Race
   <http://www.needham.k12.ma.us/news/what_s_new/needham_schools_spotlight>,
   to empower our students as they learn and grow within the Needham Public
   Schools.  We will offer support and counseling for all students,
   particularly our Asian and Asian-American students, who wish to talk about
   or process their experiences or concerns within the schools.  Classroom
   teachers, counselors, and school administrators stand ready to provide
   appropriate support and guidance.

These important and challenging discussions about race and racism must not
be limited to our classrooms. What can parents and other adults outside of
school do to help our Asian-American students, their families, and all of
our students of color? The Needham Select Board, for example, through NUARI
<https://www.needhamma.gov/4942/NUARI---Needham-Unite-Against-Racism-Ini>,
has stepped up and is involved in an important initiative around race and
race equity in our community. It seems a perfect time for all of us to
engage in deeper learning about how to create a more equitable community
for all.

For additional information and resources about what we are doing in the
schools to support this work, please check out the district’s Equity
<http://www.needham.k12.ma.us/equity> website and our Diversity, Equity,
and Inclusion Resources
<https://sites.google.com/needham.k12.ma.us/nps-equity-website/home>
website.

Respectfully,

Dan Gutekanst
Superintendent of Schools
Needham Public Schools
1330 Highland Avenue, Needham, MA 02492
781-455-0400 x11203
dan_gutekanst at needham.k12.ma.us

ATTENTION: If you speak a language other than English, language assistance
services are available to you free of charge. Contact your child’s school
for assistance.

Chinese (Simplified): 请注意:如果您的母语不是英语,我们将免费提供您语言辅助服务。如需协助,请与您孩子 的学校联系。

Spanish: ATENCION: Si usted habla un idioma que no sea el inglés, hay
servicios de asistencia lingüística disponibles gratis. Contacte la escuela
de su hijo para asistencia.

Russian: ВНИМАНИЕ: Если вы не говорите на английском языке, для вас
доступны бесплатные языковые сервисы на вашем языке. Обратитесь за помощью
в школу, в которой учится ваш ребенок.