Needham Public Schools Superintendent's Update superintendents_update at lists.needham.k12.ma.us
Sat Mar 6 00:46:47 UTC 2021

Dear Needham Public Schools Families:

I write to share information about school reopening updates.

First, let me thank our entire elementary staff for all of the work they
have been doing, particularly in grades K, 1, and 2, to get ready to bring
our youngest learners back to school next Monday, March 8th.  Principals,
administrators, teachers, and staff have organized new classrooms, changed
schedules, structured new lunch arrangements, and generally prepared for
our students to return safely.  Teachers in grade 3, 4, and 5, as well as
those in the Remote Learning Academy, have also been working to plan
additional instructional time for our at home learners.  We are eager and
excited to strengthen the elementary program for our students!

This afternoon the Massachusetts State Board of Education accepted
Commissioner Riley's recommendation that he have the authority to
effectively end the hybrid model of instruction for all K-5 students. The
Commissioner, supported by public health and pediatric experts, believes it
is critical to return as many students as possible to the classroom
beginning April 5th.

So what does this mean for Needham? There are significant and important
logistical issues and concerns that must be worked out, but these are key
highlights and next steps:

   -

   Beginning April 5th, students in grades K-5 will return to school for
   in-person learning for at least 4.5 days a week; Wednesdays would likely
   involve a half day to provide for staff collaboration and planning.
   -

   Students in the Remote Learning Academy are not impacted by this change
   and will remain fully remote.
   -

   The vote does not require us to change our learning models for students
   in grades 6-12; the issues at the middle and high schools, including large
   enrollment and schedules, are complex and require more discussion and
   thought.
   -

   The School Committee will meet with principals and teacher leaders next
   Tuesday, March 9th to review these changes, discuss how we can safely
   implement them, and consider if it is possible and appropriate to support
   more in person learning for middle and/or high school students.
   -

   We will engage in conversations with the Needham Education Association
   (NEA) to understand how these changes may impact our teachers and staff.
   -

   The COVID Advisory Committee will meet on March 18th to discuss plans
   and provide advice and guidance on our efforts.

We will continue to focus on student and staff health and safety measures
as we move forward in the days and weeks ahead; nothing else is more
important. I am pleased that we have already taken steps to bring our
youngest learners back full time and safely, and I am sure we can apply
those lessons to other students.

Finally, all of us - staff, families, and students - will need to continue
to be flexible and recognize that plans and timelines may shift. All of
these changes are complex and require attention to detail and the ability
to be patient and thoughtful as we work through them.

Working together as a school community, I am confident that we can move
forward safely and successfully.  I look forward to communicating with you
in the days ahead about our work and planning.

Thank you for your continued partnership as we collaborate to support the
amazing young people of the Needham Public Schools!

Resepctfully,

Dan Gutekanst
Superintendent of Schools
Needham Public Schools
1330 Highland Avenue, Needham, MA 02492
781-455-0400 x11203
dan_gutekanst at needham.k12.ma.us

ATTENTION: If you speak a language other than English, language assistance
services are available to you free of charge. Contact your child’s school
for assistance.

Chinese (Simplified): 请注意:如果您的母语不是英语,我们将免费提供您语言辅助服务。如需协助,请与您孩子 的学校联系。

Spanish: ATENCION: Si usted habla un idioma que no sea el inglés, hay
servicios de asistencia lingüística disponibles gratis. Contacte la escuela
de su hijo para asistencia.

Russian: ВНИМАНИЕ: Если вы не говорите на английском языке, для вас
доступны бесплатные языковые сервисы на вашем языке. Обратитесь за помощью
в школу, в которой учится ваш ребенок.