Needham Public Schools Superintendent's Update superintendents_update at lists.needham.k12.ma.us
Wed Feb 3 18:15:04 UTC 2021

February 3, 2021

Dear Needham Public Schools Families:

Last night, I presented a plan to the Needham School Committee for* enhancing
health & safety and strengthening the elementary instructional model *for
the Needham Public Schools. I am pleased to share highlights below and make
the plan available for your review at this link: Enhancing Health & Safety
and Strengthening the Elementary Instructional Model
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WoDExCUdnNXfxm_Xz2nQlX_4gTy9b6TZu6vNrplMd-E/edit?usp=sharing>

The district applied lessons learned from the most recent research findings on
health and safety and the hybrid learning model and assessed where we can
affect change and where we cannot due to health considerations, space
limitations, and cost. We identified strategic and focused improvements to
meet the needs of our youngest and struggling learners while also
supporting our creative and caring staff. These *improvements *are:

1.  Offer COVID surveillance testing for all staff and implement a daily
student Health Attestation form for all families.

2.  Bring our K to 2 students back to school full-time (four days per week;
on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday) in class sections of no more than 17
that will allow for appropriate levels of physical distancing (3-6
feet); *starting
March 8.*

3.  Increase support for grades 3 to 5 students in the at-home cohort of
the hybrid model with additional live interaction and instruction; *starting
March 8.*

I am hosting an Elementary Family Meeting for Students in the Hybrid Model
<https://needham-k12-ma-us.zoom.us/j/81834858466?pwd=ejJ2cFdwaDdkZFZ3anM1ODBjb0JRUT09>
tomorrow,
Thursday, February 4th at 6:30 p.m. to present more details about the K to
5 hybrid plan and to answer your questions. I will record the meeting and
post on our website for those who are unable to attend. Another Family Open
House for PreK to 12 families will be scheduled on February 25 at 6:30 p.m.
(Zoom link to follow) where we will discuss the new Health Attestation form
and update you on health and safety in our schools.

As a district, we will continue to work through obstacles and challenges to
address all students’ learning and social and emotional needs as they arise
and fortify our health and safety measures in response to the pandemic.

With appreciation for your patience and continued partnership,

Dan Gutekanst
Superintendent of Schools
Needham Public Schools
1330 Highland Avenue, Needham, MA 02492
781-455-0400 x11203
dan_gutekanst at needham.k12.ma.us

ATTENTION: If you speak a language other than English, language assistance
services are available to you free of charge. Contact your child’s school
for assistance.

Chinese (Simplified): 请注意:如果您的母语不是英语,我们将免费提供您语言辅助服务。如需协助,请与您孩子 的学校联系。

Spanish: ATENCION: Si usted habla un idioma que no sea el inglés, hay
servicios de asistencia lingüística disponibles gratis. Contacte la escuela
de su hijo para asistencia.

Russian: ВНИМАНИЕ: Если вы не говорите на английском языке, для вас
доступны бесплатные языковые сервисы на вашем языке. Обратитесь за помощью
в школу, в которой учится ваш ребенок.