Needham Public Schools Superintendent's Update superintendents_update at lists.needham.k12.ma.us
Sat Feb 13 18:12:46 UTC 2021

February 13, 2021

Dear Needham Public Schools Families:

I hope that you and your children are looking forward to spending some
quality time together during the February school break. Although your
vacation plans are likely different this year due to strict travel
restrictions <https://www.mass.gov/info-details/covid-19-travel-order> and
health concerns, there is good reason to have hope for better days ahead as
health and safety protocols provide our community with proven ways to
manage the spread of the COVID-19 virus and the vaccines roll out in
Massachusetts.

I want to share two important updates:

*• February Break Travel *In the event you travel outside the state this
coming week, please make sure that you and your family follow the
district's family health and travel protocols
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1MFXsUD_RmnYKDw5icr_PGZKI91LnmgWzHPh__qsZFws/edit?usp=sharing>
.

*• Family Health Attestation *Allow me to update you on a new process
through Ruvna
<https://drive.google.com/file/d/11PMfpFw5nGuAWAIE2BVA4Avs5pZdG2K_/view> as
another layer of health and safety the district will be providing in March.

*The district is preparing to launch a COVID-19 symptom screening* that
increases each family’s role in attesting to the fact that they have
checked in with their child(ren) to see how they are feeling before sending
them to school. The attestation is meant to acknowledge that all of us,
staff and families, are invested in keeping our schools open for in-person
learning. This is especially important as we move forward with the plan
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WoDExCUdnNXfxm_Xz2nQlX_4gTy9b6TZu6vNrplMd-E/edit?usp=sharing>
to bring our students in K-2 back to school four days each week starting on
March 8.

- *The new attestation process uses text messaging to push out a web link
each morning*, allowing families to quickly tap their way through health
screening questions for the students in their household who will be
attending in-person learning on that day. The screening is not needed for
students in the Remote Learning Academy.

- *Detailed information will be provided over the next few weeks* regarding
steps for you to take to support this health screening process. In the
meantime, a Q & A
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1nDwKyBhLTQ1QbzvCSQHDPVXMB9zL03CIW7bFGxRNUTY/edit?usp=sharing>
is provided as an overview of the purpose and process for the Family Health
Attestation.

Wishing you an enjoyable vacation week and urging you to maintain your
commitment to the protocols
<http://www.needham.k12.ma.us/departments/superintendent_s_office/plans_for_reopening_our_schools/health___safety>
that ensure a safe and healthy return to in-school learning after the
school break.

Respectfully,
Dan Gutekanst
Superintendent of Schools
Needham Public Schools
1330 Highland Avenue, Needham, MA 02492
781-455-0400 x11203
dan_gutekanst at needham.k12.ma.us

ATTENTION: If you speak a language other than English, language assistance
services are available to you free of charge. Contact your child’s school
for assistance.

Chinese (Simplified): 请注意:如果您的母语不是英语,我们将免费提供您语言辅助服务。如需协助,请与您孩子 的学校联系。

Spanish: ATENCION: Si usted habla un idioma que no sea el inglés, hay
servicios de asistencia lingüística disponibles gratis. Contacte la escuela
de su hijo para asistencia.

Russian: ВНИМАНИЕ: Если вы не говорите на английском языке, для вас
доступны бесплатные языковые сервисы на вашем языке. Обратитесь за помощью
в школу, в которой учится ваш ребенок.