Needham Public Schools Superintendent's Update superintendents_update at lists.needham.k12.ma.us
Tue Sep 22 23:15:49 UTC 2020

Dear Needham Public Schools Families:

I am writing to inform you that in the last two days an unknown person or
persons managed to get into several Zoom sessions and disrupt classrooms at
Pollard with racist, ugly, and hurtful language and taunts.  While the vile
language was not directed at any person in particular, it most certainly
was offensive to any student, particularly a Black student or staff member
who experienced it.

Separately, a student at Sunita L. Williams directed a racial slur toward
another student during an online class. In this particular circumstance, we
are emphasizing the importance of teaching our youngest students about the
impact of words and behaviors and how actions that are racist are hurtful
and are not tolerated.

I am extremely sorry students and staff were witnesses to, or in the case
at Sunita Williams a victim of, this hate-filled language and that an
individual(s) expressed this language in Needham classrooms where we strive
to ensure an inclusive, welcoming, and anti-racist environment.  These were
cowardly, contemptible, and despicable acts that caused a significant
disruption but will not detract from our learning or undermine our values
of respect, equity, and community.

As a result of these incidents we have:

• Spoken to impacted students, staff, and families and planned necessary
next steps to bring about appropriate dialogue, conversations, and healing

• Followed our protocols for responding to an incident of bias or
hate: Responding
to Acts of Bias or Hate in the NPS
<http://www.needham.k12.ma.us/UserFiles/Servers/Server_64429/File/District/Superintendent/Superintendent%20Protocol%20for%20Acts%20of%20Bias%20and%20Hate.pdf>

• Notified the police so that they may investigate as appropriate; any
individual found responsible will be subject to legal action

• Provided additional directions to Pollard staff in regards to various
controls and permissions on the Zoom platform; we are working with our IT
team and Zoom to determine additional steps

I wish I was not contacting you to share this disturbing information, but I
want you to know that we take this behavior seriously and will address it
without delay and in a way that will support our students, staff, and
families.

Respectfully,

Dan Gutekanst
Superintendent of Schools
Needham Public Schools
1330 Highland Avenue, Needham, MA 02492
781-455-0400 x11203
dan_gutekanst at needham.k12.ma.us

ATTENTION: If you speak a language other than English, language assistance
services are available to you free of charge. Contact your child’s school
for assistance.

Chinese (Simplified): 请注意:如果您的母语不是英语,我们将免费提供您语言辅助服务。如需协助,请与您孩子 的学校联系。

Spanish: ATENCION: Si usted habla un idioma que no sea el inglés, hay
servicios de asistencia lingüística disponibles gratis. Contacte la escuela
de su hijo para asistencia.

Russian: ВНИМАНИЕ: Если вы не говорите на английском языке, для вас
доступны бесплатные языковые сервисы на вашем языке. Обратитесь за помощью
в школу, в которой учится ваш ребенок.