Needham Public Schools Superintendent's Update superintendents_update at lists.needham.k12.ma.us
Fri Sep 11 19:59:19 UTC 2020

Dear Needham Public Schools Families:

Welcome to the start of the 2020-2021 school year! Even though we are
meeting remotely for the first two weeks of school, there is excitement and
joy in bringing our students and staff back together. I’m proud that our
staff is able to pivot to a fully remote learning model for the short term.

I am writing to provide you with important updates regarding the remote
start of school on Monday, September 14 for students in Preschool through
grade 12 and to explain the plan for reopening our school buildings on
Tuesday, September 29. I know that the two-week delay in reopening the
school buildings has placed another burden on some of our families, and I
thank you for your patience as we continue to navigate the uncertainties in
the midst of a pandemic.

I encourage you to watch this 10-minute video
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99oFlVwq3Mw> addressing school reopening
plans and our commitment to the health, safety, and wellbeing of all our
students and staff. I am joined by School Committee Chair Andrea Longo
Carter and Town Manager Kate Fitzpatrick.

*•  Maintenance and Health & Safety  *As I’ve said many times over the past
six months, the health and safety of the Needham community is paramount,
and we’ve dedicated a section of the district website for important health
and safety
<http://www.needham.k12.ma.us/departments/superintendent_s_office/plans_for_reopening_our_schools/health___safety>

information and protocols for families to review. To read more about our
efforts to ensure safe and healthy school environments, click here:  NPS
School Maintenance Information
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bIAF771ehnIacPmZ7jEyLnt6jI_U4eCU02cmzAhWsIY/edit?usp=sharing>
 .

 *•  Revised School Calendar. *Our first day of school is Monday, September
14th with all students engaged remotely. Please see the updated school
calendar
<http://www.needham.k12.ma.us/UserFiles/Servers/Server_64429/File/Calendars/2020-2021%20School%20calendar%209-11-20.pdf>
. We made a slight adjustment in the schedule: September 29 and 30 will be
full days for the students in the Gold cohort; October 1 and 2 will be full
days for students in the Blue cohort. The following weeks will continue
with the planned calendar already approved by the School Committee.

*•  Schedule for the First Two Weeks  *As we begin the school year across
the district, we are focused on building relationships and building
capacity for learning, particularly in a remote learning environment. Teachers
will take the time to get to know students, outline plans for success, and
establish norms and expectations—all in an effort to nurture a strong
academic experience for each student. Your child’s principal has already or
will communicate specific information about learning from home and share
details about the first week of school that are important to know for a
successful start.

In the Remote Learning Academy
<http://www.needham.k12.ma.us/departments/superintendent_s_office/plans_for_reopening_our_schools/remote_learning_academy>,
the schedule will proceed as planned. Starting on day 1, the students will
be building capacity for learning in a fully remote environment. There will
be virtual meet-and-greet sessions, materials will be distributed, smaller
live meetings will be held, and asynchronous work will begin.

*•  Technology  *The NPS is committed to providing the technology tools
necessary to support all students in the upcoming school year.  To learn
more about our plans and programs to support all learners, click here: NPS
School Technology Information
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Xbj7pcRu9zJ-XAGnRecUInS87zswvbgUKONMtm9Ip0U/edit?usp=sharing>
 .

*•  Nutrition Services  *School Nutrition Services staff will be preparing
hot and fresh lunches every day for all Needham students beginning Monday,
September 14th.  In accordance with a recent USDA waiver, school meals will
be* free for all children and teens, *regardless of family income, for the
first few months of this unique school year. Review the Nutrition Services
information here
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xkmxUyMIfvg-Y01mYf_e8jB9ZKJS_9wqG0Ws5XTK7eo/edit?usp=sharing>
 to order a lunch to pick up and go; pick up will be at designated times at
your child's school.

*•  Transportation *Bus passes have been mailed to our families who are
registered for Transportation, including our Boston-resident families. If
you have any questions or are interested in transportation, please check
out information on the district's website: School Transportation
<http://www.needham.k12.ma.us/departments/business__operations/transportation>

Please also check our FAQs
<http://www.needham.k12.ma.us/departments/superintendent_s_office/plans_for_reopening_our_schools/f_a_qs_for_families>
 on topics including building safety, health protocols, and the remote
start to the school year.

Our faculty and staff have worked together tirelessly and creatively to
prepare for the start of school. We are ready to welcome and teach our
students! We are knowledgeable of the new safety protocols; we’ve moved
forward with the Needham Education Association negotiating team in
prioritizing student and staff needs; we’ve hired qualified staff to fill
open positions; and we have enough supplies to begin the school year. We
can't wait to see our students!

On behalf of the dedicated faculty and staff of the Needham Public Schools,
thank you for your continued partnership and welcome to the 2020-21
academic year.

Respectfully,

Dan Gutekanst
Superintendent of Schools
Needham Public Schools
1330 Highland Avenue, Needham, MA 02492
781-455-0400 x11203
dan_gutekanst at needham.k12.ma.us

ATTENTION: If you speak a language other than English, language assistance
services are available to you free of charge. Contact your child’s school
for assistance.

Chinese (Simplified): 请注意:如果您的母语不是英语,我们将免费提供您语言辅助服务。如需协助,请与您孩子 的学校联系。

Spanish: ATENCION: Si usted habla un idioma que no sea el inglés, hay
servicios de asistencia lingüística disponibles gratis. Contacte la escuela
de su hijo para asistencia.

Russian: ВНИМАНИЕ: Если вы не говорите на английском языке, для вас
доступны бесплатные языковые сервисы на вашем языке. Обратитесь за помощью
в школу, в которой учится ваш ребенок.