Needham Public Schools Superintendent's Update superintendents_update at lists.needham.k12.ma.us
Fri Nov 20 18:00:10 UTC 2020

Dear Needham Public Schools Families:

Allow me to share some information and updates as we conclude the week and
prepare for what will be a quiet Thanksgiving holiday:

*•  Video Message from the Superintendent  *I am asking that all families
and students please watch the following five minute
important video message for families
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MC1LgTNgl28&feature=youtu.be>.

*•  Students and Thanksgiving Travel  *As we approach Thanksgiving and the
holiday season please remember that the Massachusetts COVID-19 Travel Order
<https://www.mass.gov/info-details/covid-19-travel-order> is in effect.  If
your student travels to another state your student will need to produce
documentation of a negative PCR/molecular test that was done within 72
hours of arrival back to MA or quarantine at home for 14 days.  Please note
that if your student leaves the state for the weekend, they cannot get a
PCR test before leaving Massachusetts and use those results to fulfill the
travel order. The PCR test needs to be done either at the state your child
visits, or upon arrival back to Massachusetts, and they must quarantine at
home while awaiting results.  If your student is not tested with a
PCR/molecular test, they will need to quarantine at home for 14 days before
returning to in-person learning.  Please submit documentation of any
COVID-19 PCR/molecular test to your child's school nurse.  You may find
test sites in Massachusetts here <https://www.mass.gov/covid-19-testing>.

*•  Student Achievements  *Congratulations are in order for the two
Massachusetts Association of School Superintendents (MASS) Academic
Excellence Award honorees, Catherine Chen and Sasha Rieser, both NHS
seniors.  Catherine and Sasha were honored at a recent School Committee
meeting for their superb commitment to learning and academic excellence.
They clearly represent our core values around Scholarship and Personal
Growth, and they are exemplary role models for children as well as adults!
At the School Committee meeting both seniors expressed their deep
appreciation for their parents' support and to all of the Needham teachers
who have guided and assisted them over the years.

Finally, while our Thanksgiving celebrations will be muted this year, we
can all be thankful that we are surrounded by amazing young people who
inspire us and give hope for a bright future.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!

Dan Gutekanst
Superintendent of Schools
Needham Public Schools
1330 Highland Avenue, Needham, MA 02492
781-455-0400 x11203
dan_gutekanst at needham.k12.ma.us

ATTENTION: If you speak a language other than English, language assistance
services are available to you free of charge. Contact your child’s school
for assistance.

Chinese (Simplified): 请注意:如果您的母语不是英语,我们将免费提供您语言辅助服务。如需协助,请与您孩子 的学校联系。

Spanish: ATENCION: Si usted habla un idioma que no sea el inglés, hay
servicios de asistencia lingüística disponibles gratis. Contacte la escuela
de su hijo para asistencia.

Russian: ВНИМАНИЕ: Если вы не говорите на английском языке, для вас
доступны бесплатные языковые сервисы на вашем языке. Обратитесь за помощью
в школу, в которой учится ваш ребенок.