Needham Public Schools Superintendent's Update superintendents_update at lists.needham.k12.ma.us
Tue Nov 10 19:40:33 UTC 2020

November 10, 2020

Dear Needham Public Schools Families,

Allow me to share the following invitations and updates:

•  *Virtual Open House*  The School Committee will host an Open House on
Saturday, November 14th from 9:00 to 10:30 a.m.
<https://needham-k12-ma-us.zoom.us/j/85897967182?pwd=OUIxTW9qRnh4TjRaRTRseXZTSEZWUT09>
This is an opportunity for families to provide feedback and ideas as we
collaborate in navigating through the health crisis and ensuring all
students continue to receive an excellent education. Here is the link to
the Open House
<https://needham-k12-ma-us.zoom.us/j/85897967182?pwd=OUIxTW9qRnh4TjRaRTRseXZTSEZWUT09>.
In the hopes of addressing as many questions as possible, School Committee
Chair Andrea Longo Carter will facilitate the discussion using comments,
questions, and suggestion gathered from this survey: Comments, Questions,
and Suggestions for Open House Discussion
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeRI7QhO5rIzHrXvKqsVQvQOvND1S13HDqQdaE3KiWPdwgiGQ/viewform?usp=sf_link>.
Please take a moment to add your ideas so that the School Committee can
address as many as possible during the Open House.

*•  <https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YTB2QJQ> District Survey*  In addition
to the Open House, families have the opportunity to provide feedback and
ideas about their child's experience with the hybrid and remote learning
models through a District Survey <https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YTB2QJQ>.
Families' responses will be compared with responses from our students and
our faculty and staff in order to provide a comprehensive picture of
strengths and areas that need attention as we continue through the school
year. The survey will remain open until next Monday, November 16th at 5:00
p.m. . Please take 10 minutes now to complete the district survey at this
link <https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YTB2QJQ>. Links to translated surveys
can be found here: (ENCUESTA FAMILIAR
<https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/NPS-SpanishFamily> (Spanish), ОБСЛЕДОВАНИЕ
СЕМЬИ <https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/NPS-RussianFamily> (Russian), PESQUISA
DE FAMÍLIA <https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/NPS-PortugueseFamily> (Portuguese),
and 家庭调查 <https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/NPS-ChineseFamily> (Chinese)

*• Needham Diversity Initiative Summit * The theme for the Diversity
Summit this
year is "Hate Has No Home Here - Beyond the Yard Signs" and this community
event is being held virtually on Sunday, November 15th from noon until
5:00pm. The Summit brings together community leaders, friends, neighbors,
and students to explore, foster, strengthen, and celebrate Needham's
diversity. There is no fee to attend, but registration
<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/needham-diversity-summit-90-hate-has-no-home-here-beyond-the-yard-signs-tickets-124195609411>
is
required.

*• Veterans Day*  Any day is a good day to thank veterans for their service
to our nation - however, it's particularly important on Veterans Day,
November 11th. Initially, Veterans Day was meant to celebrate the end of
World War I and usher in a world without war and conflict. It has evolved
into a holiday honoring current and former members of the United States
Armed Forces. I'd like to offer a heartfelt thank you to our veterans on
behalf of the Needham Public Schools. We are grateful for their sacrifice,
bravery, and the fine example they set for us all. (See how the High Rock
School community acknowledges our vets here: High Rock honors veterans
<https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/12O4IrLvUDCDFQenWIIBeYlIrQsMKmiHTVh2RttYveWs/edit?usp=sharing>
)

*• The 4 Ws!*  Even though our routines, family lives, and traditions may
have been upended by COVID-19, it's comforting to know we can count on each
other as partners in the complex work of mitigating the spread of the
disease and reinventing the educational models needed to support our
children. Let's keep our children and families safe:  *Wear* a mask! *Watch*
your distance! *Wash* your hands! *Wait* for test results before going to
school!

Respectfully,

Dan Gutekanst
Superintendent of Schools
Needham Public Schools
1330 Highland Avenue, Needham, MA 02492
781-455-0400 x11203
dan_gutekanst at needham.k12.ma.us

ATTENTION: If you speak a language other than English, language assistance
services are available to you free of charge. Contact your child’s school
for assistance.

Chinese (Simplified): 请注意:如果您的母语不是英语,我们将免费提供您语言辅助服务。如需协助,请与您孩子 的学校联系。

Spanish: ATENCION: Si usted habla un idioma que no sea el inglés, hay
servicios de asistencia lingüística disponibles gratis. Contacte la escuela
de su hijo para asistencia.

Russian: ВНИМАНИЕ: Если вы не говорите на английском языке, для вас
доступны бесплатные языковые сервисы на вашем языке. Обратитесь за помощью
в школу, в которой учится ваш ребенок.