Needham Public Schools Superintendent's Update superintendents_update at lists.needham.k12.ma.us
Fri Dec 21 21:31:08 UTC 2018

Dear Needham Public Schools Families:

As we begin the winter break, allow me to share the following updates:

•  Racist and Hateful Graffiti  Twice in the last two weeks hateful and
racist graffiti, including the use of a swastika, racial slur, and a
homophobic slur, have been found written into a boys' bathroom stall at
Needham High School. Principal Aaron Sicotte and his staff are working with
teachers, students, and the police to find the perpetrator(s) and ensure
appropriate consequences are applied.

This kind of unsettling behavior is not representative of the students of
the Needham Public Schools, and when a hateful act like this occurs, the
entire school community rises to condemn it.  While it may be discomforting
to address an incident like this, especially on the eve of winter break
when everyone is focused on vacation plans or holiday preparations, it is
important to acknowledge the behavior and the steps we are taking to
address it.   Of course, we want to acknowledge the behavior without
amplifying and drawing unwarranted attention to it. We will strive to keep
families informed when incidents like this occur knowing that we must also
seek balance in our efforts to act and communicate.

It is important to note that students brought this graffiti to the
attention of school staff.  Principal Sicotte acknowledged the importance
of this in an email to the high school community:  *"Coming forward to
report offensiveness like this is a great example of actively stepping
forward. I appreciate all of the times students report concerning items and
the many times each day a student says to a friend that something shouldn't
be done or said. Those can be hard moments, but they highlight the depth of
character of so many of our students and the essence of what make NHS the
strong community it is. We have incredible students and adults in this
building, and offensive behavior like this does not reflect who we truly
are." *Mr. Sicotte is spot on.

Finally, the district, students, and staff are engaged in work at every
level to support equitable opportunities and nurture safe, inclusive, and
welcoming schools and classrooms for each child. Unfortunately, the Needham
Public Schools and the Needham community are not immune from racist,
anti-semitic, and homophobic slurs despite our ongoing efforts to combat
fear and hate through, for example, the curriculum, school programs, and
School Improvement Plans.  Sadly, there is no guarantee that this behavior
will not be repeated; our efforts to confront racism and hate are robust
but imperfect. Please know, however, that when it does occur, our students
and staff will act and move quickly to ensure no student or staff member
feels targeted or unsafe within the Needham Public Schools.

*•  2019-20 (FY20) School Budget  *Last week I presented to the School
Committee my proposal for a budget plan for the 2019-20 school year.  The
plan is very much focused on providing an equitable learning experience for
each child, and a key component of the budget includes the resources
required to implement a publicly-funded Full Day Kindergarten program for
each eligible Kindergartner beginning next school year.  The Kindergarten
plan has been thoughtfully developed by Needham staff, including our K and
KASE teachers, and is modeled on Boston's successful K2 Kindergarten Program
<https://www.bpsearlylearning.org/focus-on-k2/>.  I have also proposed in
the budget that each K classroom have a teacher assistant to provide a
second set of hands to help the teacher manage, direct, and assist young
learners.  You may review the entire FY20 budget plan and see my
presentation to the School Committee here:  2019-20 Needham Public Schools
Budget Proposal
<http://www.needham.k12.ma.us/cms/One.aspx?portalId=64513&pageId=926906#FY20>
The School Committee will have a Public Hearing on the budget plan at their
January 15th meeting scheduled for 7:00 p.m. at Broadmeadow, and I
encourage parents and community members to participate.

**  Needham Schools Spotlight  *Please check out the latest Needham Schools
Spotlight cable show featuring a conversation with the coaches, partners
and athletes involved in our new Unified Sports Program:  Needham Schools
Spotlight
<http://www.needham.k12.ma.us/news/what_s_new/needham_schools_spotlight> .

*•  Winter Weather is Here! * Information about weather-related school
closings can be found here:  Information about weather-related school
delays and cancellations
<http://www.needham.k12.ma.us/common/pages/DisplayFile.aspx?itemId=18652412>. I
also strongly encourage parents to follow me on Twitter in order to receive
the most timely information about weather-related school delays or
closings.  While I will continue to notify the media and send out emails
and phone calls to interested families, it takes time for all of the
messages to make it through the queue; Twitter is simply quicker!  More
information here:  Twitter: @NPS_supt
<https://twitter.com/NPS_Supt?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Eembeddedtimeline%7Ctwterm%5Eprofile%3ANPS_Supt%7Ctwgr%5E363937393b636f6e74726f6c&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.needham.k12.ma.us%2F>

Finally, as we head into the vacation week let me take this opportunity to
thank NPS families for your ongoing support, generous spirit, and genuine
willingness to engage and connect.  The work we do with your children each
day is an awesome responsibility and a great honor.  I hope we will
continue to remain worthy of your partnership, guidance, and trust as,
together, we educate and care for these amazing, energetic, and talented
young people.

To those celebrating the holiday, a Merry Christmas to you and your
families!

To everyone:  Enjoy your vacation, and we'll see you in the New Year!

As always, feel free to contact me with questions or comments:
781.455.0400, ext. 11203 or dan_gutekanst at needham.k12.ma.us

Respectfully,

Dan Gutekanst
Superintendent of Schools