Needham Public Schools Superintendent's Update superintendents_update at lists.needham.k12.ma.us
Mon Dec 3 23:02:44 UTC 2018

Dear Needham Public Schools Families:

For those families celebrating the Festival of Lights, Happy Hanukkah!  I
hope the season is joyful for you and your families.  Allow me to share the
following quick updates:

*•  Needham Education Foundation (NEF)  *The NEF continues to support
innovation and learning in the Needham Schools!  Most recently the NEF
funded almost $68,000 in various grants for our elementary, middle, and
high schools.  Please support the NEF this holiday season and recognize a
teacher by purchasing holiday cards available through the NEF website:  NEF
2018 Teacher Appreciation Cards
<https://www.nefneedham.org/support/teacher-appreciation-cards/>

*•  Needham Schools Spotlight * The most recent Needham Schools Spotlight
highlighting the issue of gender equity and sexual harassment in the
schools can be viewed on public access television and found here:  Needham
Schools Spotlight
<http://www.needham.k12.ma.us/news/what_s_new/needham_schools_spotlight>

*•  Superintendent's Blog  *My recent post about the 2018 District Survey
results can be found on the NPS website:  Superintendent's Blog
<http://npssuperintendent.blogspot.com/>

*•  Winter Weather is Here! * Information about weather-related school
closings can be found here:  Information about weather-related school
delays and cancellations
<http://www.needham.k12.ma.us/common/pages/DisplayFile.aspx?itemId=18652412>. I
also strongly encourage parents to follow me on Twitter in order to receive
the most timely information about weather-related school delays or
closings.  While I will continue to notify the media and send out emails
and phone calls to interested families, it takes time for all of the
messages to make it through the queue; Twitter is simply quicker!  More
information here:  Twitter: @NPS_supt
<https://twitter.com/NPS_Supt?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Eembeddedtimeline%7Ctwterm%5Eprofile%3ANPS_Supt%7Ctwgr%5E363937393b636f6e74726f6c&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.needham.k12.ma.us%2F>

*•  Student Scholars  *Finally, let me acknowledge and congratulate two
Needham High School seniors, Anna Friedman and Ethan Lee, both of whom
recently received the prestigious *Massachusetts Association of School
Superintendents 2018 Award of Academic Excellence*!  This award is
presented annually to two outstanding seniors in each high school in the
Commonwealth.  Both Anna and Ethan model the district's core values,
particularly around scholarship, and they are deserving of this award.
They also happen to be amazing and caring young people whom we are all very
proud to know and honor.  Congratulations, Ann and Ethan!

As always, feel free to contact me with questions or comments:
781.455.0400, ext. 11203 or dan_gutekanst at needham.k12.ma.us

Sincerely,

Dan Gutekanst
Superintendent of Schools