Needham Public Schools Superintendent's Update superintendents_update at lists.needham.k12.ma.us
Sat Jan 1 02:41:48 UTC 2022

Dear Needham Public Schools Families:

As we prepare to resume school on Monday, January 3rd, I’d like to share
several important health and safety updates and reminders:

• Health Attestation  Please remember to complete the attestation for your
child(ren) when prompted to do so via text or email on Monday morning and
each day school is in session.  To help us ensure only healthy students are
attending school each day, the attestation is an important responsibility
each family has. We will continue to update the language and prompts in the
attestation based on newly evolving public health guidelines.

• Face Coverings and Masks Masks remain a key tool in our efforts to
contain the spread of the virus, especially in younger students who have
not been vaccinated or boosted. Given the highly transmissible variant of
the virus we are currently facing, I encourage everyone to consider
upgrading their masks to at least a surgical mask. KN95 or N95 masks also
are protective, yet no mask will be effective if it is not worn properly.
Please ensure your child(ren) understands how to properly wear a mask which
will reinforce the same messaging we are providing in schools. For
additional information on masks, please visit the CDC’s website: CDC Mask
guidance
<https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/types-of-masks.html>.
The NPS has also received a supply of KN95 masks for our staff who may
choose to wear them.

• Vaccinations    It is important for those who are eligible to get
vaccinated and, as appropriate, to get a booster.  The Town of Needham
offers booster clinics on most Tuesdays, and also next Saturday, January
8th, the Town will offer a vaccine clinic for students ages 5 and up.
Please sign up here
<https://home.color.com/vaccine/register/needham?fbclid=IwAR2CiCADyqDfpf1H6N42V7ZNc5ncCY5zOEKcAiOcHjI0x2Yf_5_1mcqr16k>
and get the shot!  We are also working with our partner, PelMeds Pharmacy,
to schedule an additional clinic and once confirmed, I will forward
registration information.

• Updated CDC Guidance on Isolation This week, the CDC updated its guidance
on the isolation time period for those who have tested positive for
COVID-19. (This guidance has now been adopted by the Department of
Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE) and the Massachusetts Department
of Public Health (DPH)). A reminder that an *isolated individual* is one
who has tested positive for COVID; a *quarantined individual* is one who
has been identified as a close contact but has not tested positive for
COVID. Key updates are included here: Isolation and Quarantine Guidance
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1wW0IvcFLFuGeZ_FUlfvEiQ9JJXM9aznO5unTd0NBVpc/edit?usp=sharing>

• Staff Testing  The state has secured rapid testing kits to distribute to
school staff, and I anticipate that we will be able to provide a test to
each school staff member who wants to take a test before school resumes.
This will be yet another tool we have to strengthen our school safety and
health protocols. For additional information on our health and safety
plans, please check out the district’s website
<http://www.needham.k12.ma.us/departments/superintendent_s_office/plans_for_reopening_our_schools/health___safety>
and the FAQs
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ttDw6Yl31ufHgP24BmnepZg3AXEvx1GqmBC3T3hYwOY/edit?usp=sharing>
.

Finally, some families have asked about whether or not the district will
implement a surveillance testing program.  At this time the Joint Committee
on Health and Safety
<http://www.needham.k12.ma.us/departments/superintendent_s_office/plans_for_reopening_our_schools/health___safety/joint_health_and_safety_committee_updates>
is not recommending routine COVID surveillance testing for several
reasons.  We have decided to focus our available resources and energy on
the attestation process and the test and stay program, and the districts
who have been doing surveillance testing have reported a low participation
rate which, of course, impacts the efficacy of the program and results.  We
will continue to discuss and review what the best options and tools are to
keep our school communities safe.

It’s important to acknowledge that the latest surge in COVID infections
needs to be monitored closely, and in the days ahead the district may need
to adjust plans or procedures to ensure a healthy environment for all
students and staff. We will also continue to update our website to reflect
the latest information and guidance. I’ll ask that parents and families be
particularly patient with our school nurses who will be back next Monday
responding to the many emails and questions they have been receiving over
the last week or so.

*Please also recognize that any of this information or guidance could
change, and I would share updates as soon as it is possible to do so.*

Due to the efforts of our staff and in partnership with students, parents,
families, and community health partners we have been able to implement a
successful, full time, and in person return to school this year. It's been
a challenge, and I could not be prouder of our students and staff for
demonstrating resilience, plenty of flexibility, and a great spirit.
Working together in 2022 we will continue to prioritize health and safety
so that we can keep our young people learning in the classroom with their
friends and the teachers and staff who care for them.

My very best wishes to you and your family for a happy and healthy New Year!

Respectfully,

Dan Gutekanst
Superintendent of Schools
Needham Public Schools
1330 Highland Avenue, Needham, MA 02492
781-455-0400 x11203
dan_gutekanst at needham.k12.ma.us

ATTENTION: If you speak a language other than English, language assistance
services are available to you free of charge. Contact your child’s school
for assistance.

Chinese (Simplified): 请注意:如果您的母语不是英语,我们将免费提供您语言辅助服务。如需协助,请与您孩子 的学校联系。

Spanish: ATENCION: Si usted habla un idioma que no sea el inglés, hay
servicios de asistencia lingüística disponibles gratis. Contacte la escuela
de su hijo para asistencia.

Russian: ВНИМАНИЕ: Если вы не говорите на английском языке, для вас
доступны бесплатные языковые сервисы на вашем языке. Обратитесь за помощью
в школу, в которой учится ваш ребенок.