Needham Public Schools Superintendent's Update superintendents_update at lists.needham.k12.ma.us
Fri Oct 29 18:52:23 UTC 2021

Dear Needham Public Schools Families:

As we approach the first week of November allow me to share several updates:

*• Health & Safety  *There are a few important items families should be
aware of:

1.  *Health Attestation*  While we have a good response on the daily
completion of the health attestation process
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BUrjuNHXhShHX_9HMmZZO2iU-HA42yKWUvRX4iX81Vg/edit?usp=sharing>,
there remain families who do not complete the process without a reminder or
who complete it without truly assessing their child's health status each
morning before sending them to school.  Please remember to *first assess*
your child's health and *then* *complete* the quick process on your phone
or through email.

2. *Masking  *The mask mandate has been
<https://www.doe.mass.edu/covid19/on-desktop/2021-1026mask-requirement-extension.pdf>
 extended
<https://www.doe.mass.edu/covid19/on-desktop/2021-1026mask-requirement-extension.pdf>
for students and staff from November 1st to January 15th.  The Department
of Elementary and Secondary (DESE) is also offering an "off ramp" waiver to
districts who can attest to at least having 80% of eligible students and
staff vaccinated in order to make masks optional before January 15th.  The NPS
Joint Committee on Health and Safety
<http://www.needham.k12.ma.us/departments/superintendent_s_office/plans_for_reopening_our_schools/health___safety/joint_health_and_safety_committee_updates>
will continue to review our local health metrics and vaccination rates to
advise me about if and when it makes sense to be "mask optional" before
January 15th for vaccinated individuals.  For now, all students and staff
are required to wear masks as outlined in our protocols.

3. Vaccine Survey/Clinics  In partnership with PelMeds Community Pharmacy
<https://pelmeds.com/> and the Town of Needham Department of Public Health
and Human Services, the NPS is planning on hosting vaccine clinics on
upcoming weekends in the school setting for students ages 5-11 as soon as
the vaccines are approved.  Please complete the following anonymous survey
so we can best plan for and anticipate the community's need for
vaccinations.  https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/5MJKDB7

*4. Family Health and Safety Open House*  I will host a Family Health and
Safety Open House via Zoom on Tuesday, November 9th from 5:30 until 6:30
<https://needham-k12-ma-us.zoom.us/j/82838165792?pwd=dklQaFB0UUhFY0NJUmNYOFlDeGJWQT09>
p.m.  Please join me and some of our public health partners to discuss
COVID-19 updates and information.

• Needham Diversity Summit    Needham's Tenth Annual Diversity Summit is
scheduled for Sunday, November 14th at noon via Zoom. This year's theme is
"Voices of Unity" and it is a wonderful event that brings together
community leaders, friends, neighbors, and students to explore, strengthen,
and celebrate Needham's diversity of socioeconomic status, race, sexual
orientation, gender equity and expression, religion, ethnic identity, age,
and ability.  For more information, including registration:  Needham
Diversity Summit
<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/needham-diversity-summit-100-voices-of-unity-tickets-187970604137>

• *Congratulations, Needham High School Students!  *Congratulations to
Needham High School students who continue to grow, achieve, and excel in so
many ways:

- Kudos to seniors *L**indsay Hess* and *James Mahoney *for extraordinary
academic accomplishments on the 2021 Advanced Placement exams.  Lindsay was
one of 219 students *worldwide* to earn a perfect score for Drawing and
James was one of 356 students *worldwide* who earned a perfect score in
Computer Science!   I would also like to recognize their teachers Linda
Burke, Shireen Yadollahpour, Kate Bergeron and Mark Dineen who engaged,
encouraged, and challenged Lindsay and James in pursuit of excellence.

- Congratulations to Needham High School students for being named
semifinalists in the National Merit Scholarship Qualifying Test
<https://www.compassprep.com/national-merit-semifinalist-cutoffs/comment-page-33/>
: *Vijay Fisch *and *Jeremy Gold*.

- Congrats, to *Jack Carnahan*, *Brendan Mawhinney*, and *Boyoung Paik* have
been accepted into the National Association Federation of Music Educators
All National Music Conference, All National Mixed Choir.

- Finally, a big shout out and congratulations to the *Needham High School
Speech and Debate Team* which was awarded the 2020-2021 Leading Chapter
Award by the National Speech and Debate Association, the highest
recognition given by the Association. NHS Speech and Debate is one of
108 school
chapters out of 3,000 schools to receive the award.  In addition, advisor *Paul
Wexler *was granted membership in the 200 Club for outstanding commitment
and achievement.

We are proud of these and all of our students and the staff who
support themeach
day and demonstrate a commitment to scholarship, creativity and growth.
Our students are successful at the high school level as a result of their
personal commitment to learning, their parent and family's ongoing support,
and the collective efforts of a talented Preschool through Grade 12 faculty
and staff!

Enjoy the weekend and Happy Halloween!

Dan Gutekanst
Superintendent of Schools
Needham Public Schools
1330 Highland Avenue, Needham, MA 02492
781-455-0400 x11203
dan_gutekanst at needham.k12.ma.us

ATTENTION: If you speak a language other than English, language assistance
services are available to you free of charge. Contact your child’s school
for assistance.

Chinese (Simplified): 请注意:如果您的母语不是英语,我们将免费提供您语言辅助服务。如需协助,请与您孩子 的学校联系。

Spanish: ATENCION: Si usted habla un idioma que no sea el inglés, hay
servicios de asistencia lingüística disponibles gratis. Contacte la escuela
de su hijo para asistencia.

Russian: ВНИМАНИЕ: Если вы не говорите на английском языке, для вас
доступны бесплатные языковые сервисы на вашем языке. Обратитесь за помощью
в школу, в которой учится ваш ребенок.