Needham Public Schools Superintendent's Update superintendents_update at lists.needham.k12.ma.us
Fri Oct 8 19:49:14 UTC 2021

Dear Needham Public Schools Families:

As we begin a holiday weekend, allow me to share several updates:

*•  Addressing Challenging Behavior  *In recent conversations with school
principals, Parks & Recreation staff, and the Needham Police, I have heard
troubling reports of poor behavior around town, in parks, and on ballfields
of several young Needham adolescents, typically in grades 7-9.  Serious
vandalism, trash piles, broken glass, and general misbehavior have been
observed and reported.  For example, on a recent evening after 9:00 p.m.
over 50 young people were gathered on Memorial Park Field, several of them
consuming alcohol.  While the inappropriate actions of a few do not
represent the behavior of all, this behavior is unacceptable and must be
addressed.  I will continue to work with School and Town staff and our
School Resource Officers both to hold young people accountable and to help
curb this behavior.  I also encourage all parents to talk to your children
about your expectations for their behavior when they are hanging out with
or visiting friends in the community.

*• School Committee Open House*  The Needham School Committee will host an
informal Open House for parents and community members on Saturday, October
16th from 9:00 until 10:30 a.m. at Needham High School (Webster St.
entrance, under the tent).  Please stop by to say hello, ask a question or
share an idea.

*• Health Attestation *Many thanks to our parents and students who continue
to complete the daily health attestation procedure at a high rate; in the
last several days the rate of completion has been about 94 to 96%.  We
appreciate your partnership as we continue to prioritize the health and
safety of our students and staff.  My most recent cable show, *Needham
Schools Spotlight*,  features a conversation about COVID protocols and
health information with our school & public health partners:  Health and
Safety Remains the Priority in the NPS
<http://www.needham.k12.ma.us/cms/One.aspx?portalId=64513&pageId=2445680>

*• Ten Minutes with...   *We have launched a new video program entitled, *"Ten
Minutes with..."* featuring brief ten minute interviews with leaders and
learners in the Needham Public Schools.  The most recent video features two
students, *Nick Tuchin* and *Fernanda Pinto Pro* who collaborated to
advocate for the School Committee to rename the October holiday *Indigenous
Peoples' Day*. Please check out Ten Minutes with Nick and Fernanda
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiTG2d5o5rY> when you get the chance.

*• Needham's Parent University  *Needham Community Education launched the
NCE Parent University in October 2020 to foster a partnership between the
Needham Public Schools and the District’s parents. Our NCE Parent University
<https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jtruf7PzM0e2cWk_G0auZmM4LofAdQDL/view?usp=sharing>
workshops
and seminars, taught by experts throughout the year, are designed to
address various parenting challenges and concerns and provide invaluable
information and skills. The programs are free but registration
<https://nce.reg.eleyo.com/> is required. In addition, there is a new NCE
Adult Fall Catalog
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1EhoTm8ha_ZNVpSKea9ZoUY0L0RFbTaFbacedScO6MQg/edit?usp=sharing>
featuring
an array of virtual and in-person programs that provide joy, social
engagement, and intellectual/creative stimulation. If you have questions
about the NCE Adult Programs, please contact amy_goldman at needham.k12.ma.us or
781-455-0400 x11214.

*• Congratulations!  *Congratulations to these three Needham High School
students for being named semifinalists in the National Merit Scholarship
Qualifying Test
<https://www.compassprep.com/national-merit-semifinalist-cutoffs/comment-page-33/>
: *Samuel Billante, Benjamin Lee,* and *Drew Winkler*. We are proud of
these and all of our students who each day demonstrate a commitment to
scholarship and growth.

Have a great holiday weekend!

Dan Gutekanst
Superintendent of Schools
Needham Public Schools
1330 Highland Avenue, Needham, MA 02492
781-455-0400 x11203
dan_gutekanst at needham.k12.ma.us

ATTENTION: If you speak a language other than English, language assistance
services are available to you free of charge. Contact your child’s school
for assistance.

Chinese (Simplified): 请注意:如果您的母语不是英语,我们将免费提供您语言辅助服务。如需协助,请与您孩子 的学校联系。

Spanish: ATENCION: Si usted habla un idioma que no sea el inglés, hay
servicios de asistencia lingüística disponibles gratis. Contacte la escuela
de su hijo para asistencia.

Russian: ВНИМАНИЕ: Если вы не говорите на английском языке, для вас
доступны бесплатные языковые сервисы на вашем языке. Обратитесь за помощью
в школу, в которой учится ваш ребенок.