Needham Public Schools Superintendent's Update superintendents_update at lists.needham.k12.ma.us
Thu Oct 29 20:03:16 UTC 2020

October 29, 2020

Dear Needham Public Schools Families:

Allow me to share the following updates:

*• Information for Requests to Transfer Between Learning Models/Cohorts  *We
strongly encourage students to remain in their school program (Hybrid
Learning Program or Remote Learning Academy) for the full academic year.
However, if families need to switch programs due to, for example, a change
in family health circumstances, please read the following information about
requesting a transfer between cohorts: Cohort Transfer Request Information
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ibLlBi6j02E8hRbOK_9k3n2PzFADd4nCBV9kK_5FxCs/edit?usp=sharing>
*• Needham Schools Spotlight  *Please check out the latest Needham Schools
Spotlight
<http://www.needham.k12.ma.us/news/what_s_new/needham_schools_spotlight>
featuring
a conversation about the new school year with Needham School Committee
Chair Andrea Longo Carter, Town of Needham Director of Health and Human
Services, Tim McDonald, and Eliot Principal Karen Bourn.

*• Opportunities for Family Engagement *Needham families are invited to
participate in two upcoming opportunities to share feedback and ideas about
the new school year, particularly as they relate to our hybrid and remote
learning models:  The School Committee will host a virtual Open House on
Saturday, November 14th from 9:00 to 10:30 a.m. (link to follow) and within
the next two weeks families will be invited to complete a brief 10 minute
survey asking about their student's school experience.  These opportunities
are designed to provide feedback to the School Committee and school
administration and staff as we collaborate with families to ensure all
students continue to receive an excellent education in the NPS.

*• COVID-19 Health and Safety Information*  I have been asked by many
parents, staff, and students what might prompt a decision to close our
schools  and have remote only instruction.  While the Joint Committee on
Health & Safety
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_qxwWYxKERbMfypJpx0ychY8yVOHfkzoqvpO1U6UiMM/edit?usp=sharing>
will
continue to monitor the health metrics and advise me on school closures or
re-openings due to COVID-19, in large part the answer depends on how our
school community will adhere to safety measures and protocols.  For
example, paying attention to the *4 Ws* is critical: *Wear* a mask;
*Watch* your
distance, *Wash *your hands; *Wait* for test results before coming to
school.  This is especially important now that we are heading into colder
weather.

Recently, many Needham students affiliated with sports travel teams have
been asked to quarantine and miss school due to their contacts with others
in those activities.  If too many students get sick or require quarantining
due to their participation on travel teams - or other activities - this
could jeopardize schools being open for many students or an entire school
building.  Further, the Needham Public Health Department would like to
remind families that if your child is participating in sports leagues that
travel outside of Massachusetts to a state that is not on the lower risk
list,  your child must quarantine for 14 days or remain quarantined until
they receive a negative PCR test after returning to Massachusetts. Sports
do not meet the definition for the Commissioner's limited exceptions, and
you could be subject to a fine of $500/day for not following this order.
Please visit the COVID-19 Travel Order
<https://www.mass.gov/info-details/covid-19-travel-order> for more
information.

*Simply put:  Students and families have to curb travel and activities that
put young people in close contact with many others, including family
members who may wish to travel to Massachusetts for the upcoming holidays.*
If we want to stay in school, all of us will need to sacrifice precious
time with friends and extended family, especially in the weeks and months
ahead.  This year my wife and I will spend Thanksgiving without our three
daughters for the first time, but we know it is the right thing to do.
Let's all make a commitment to limit our outside activities, help our young
people adhere to health protocols, and focus on keeping our schools safe,
healthy, *and open*. This is all hard, but we can do it.

Thanks for your continued partnership with our amazing teachers and staff!

Respectfully,
Dan Gutekanst
Superintendent of Schools
Needham Public Schools
1330 Highland Avenue, Needham, MA 02492
781-455-0400 x11203
dan_gutekanst at needham.k12.ma.us

ATTENTION: If you speak a language other than English, language assistance
services are available to you free of charge. Contact your child’s school
for assistance.

Chinese (Simplified): 请注意:如果您的母语不是英语,我们将免费提供您语言辅助服务。如需协助,请与您孩子 的学校联系。

Spanish: ATENCION: Si usted habla un idioma que no sea el inglés, hay
servicios de asistencia lingüística disponibles gratis. Contacte la escuela
de su hijo para asistencia.

Russian: ВНИМАНИЕ: Если вы не говорите на английском языке, для вас
доступны бесплатные языковые сервисы на вашем языке. Обратитесь за помощью
в школу, в которой учится ваш ребенок.