Needham Public Schools Superintendent's Update superintendents_update at lists.needham.k12.ma.us
Wed Oct 14 16:05:24 UTC 2020

October 14, 2020

Dear Needham Public Schools Families:

Allow me to share the following updates and information:

*• COVID-19 Health Information  *

*• Needham Community Education: Parent University*

*• Student Accolades*

*•  COVID-19 Health Information & District Dashboard* Allow me to share
information about 1) A positive COVID-19 case at Newman yesterday, 2) the
new District Dashboard, and 3) How families can help keep everyone healthy:

*1)*  Yesterday, October 13th, we had a positive COVID-19 case at Newman.
The individual is resting at home today and close contacts are quarantining.
 *Please know that any adult or student who is considered a close contact
of this individual has already been identified and notified; if you have
not been contacted, your child and siblings can continue regular
activities, including attending school.*

If a Needham Public Schools staff member or student tests positive for
COVID-19, the contact tracing protocol
<http://www.needham.k12.ma.us/departments/superintendent_s_office/plans_for_reopening_our_schools/health___safety/contact_tracing_protocol>
is
implemented. Any adult or student who is considered a close contact
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-BZMtYBa8f38WtbNmnMPXB2pjAwnvHGOy0pOVWly1Jc/edit?usp=sharing>
of
this individual is identified and notified by the Public Health Department.
(It is very important to answer the call from the Public Health Department
and follow their instructions about staying home from school and away from
extracurricular activities. Families and staff are advised to call their
healthcare provider for evaluation and get a COVID-19 PCR test.)*  If
individuals are not notified through the Public Health Department’s contact
tracing, they are not close contacts and do not need to quarantine. *

We are working in collaboration with the Needham Department of Public
Health to implement our health and safety guidelines, including steps we
must take if an individual tests positive.  More information can be found
here:  MA Department of Public Health
<https://www.mass.gov/info-details/covid-19-public-health-guidance-and-directives>
and
here: Needham Public Schools Illness Guidelines
<http://www.needham.k12.ma.us/departments/superintendent_s_office/plans_for_reopening_our_schools/health___safety/illness_guidelines>
.

*2)* This week the district launched a COVID-19 District Dashboard
<https://datastudio.google.com/reporting/38f06c1e-7093-4a9e-9c83-af8a36c457c9/page/dmbiB>
provide timely and updated information about positive cases within the
NPS.  *I will not be communicating to families each time we have a positive
case in our schools; please refer to the dashboard for updated
information.  *However, if there are multiple cases of transmission either
impacting an entire school or multiple schools, I will communicate with all
staff and families about the next steps, which could include: closing part
of or the entire school or district for a short time for thorough cleaning,
or closing for the duration of a 14-day quarantine.

*3) * Families can help by keeping sick students *and those students who
have been tested but are awaiting test results at home. *We recognize that
there are some pediatricians who may tell a parent that a child can attend
school while awaiting test results; however, the Needham Public Schools, in
collaboration with the Needham Department of Public Health, expects
students awaiting tests results to remain home.  If your child is tested or
you are uncertain about your child's status or condition, please contact
the school nurse before sending your child to school.

The only way we can continue to have in-person schooling is if we all
follow the 4 W's:  *Wash* your hands! *Wear* a mask! *Watch* your
distance! *Wait
*at home if sick or awaiting test results!

*• Parent University  *During this unprecedented time of remote learning,
Needham parents, caregivers, and guardians are seeking guidance and
resources to assist their students. In response, Needham Community Education
<http://www.needham.k12.ma.us/community_ed> has launched the NCE Parent
University, with some upcoming workshops
<https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xA4-W4W4c5J8bfwbjbVjtD7ISV7Ja8AC/view?usp=sharing>
that
provide parents with tips and strategies for helping their children keep
focused, improve their executive function skills, set up their learning
spaces, and more. You can register online for "How To Support Your
Elementary or Middle School Student in Remote Learning" and "Strategies for
Reducing Academic Stress and Creating Successful Students" at this link
<https://www.schoolpay.com/parent/mip/Mdud>. If you have questions about
the Parent University or suggestions for future workshops, please contact
Amy Goldman, Director of NCE Adult Programs at amy_goldman at needham.k12.ma.us

*• Congratulations, Students!  *Congratulations to Needham High School
students for being commended or named semifinalists in the National Merit
Scholarship Qualifying Test
<https://www.compassprep.com/national-merit-semifinalist-cutoffs/comment-page-33/>:
*Semi-Finalists: *Catherine Chen, William Euwart, Ryan Judge, Joshua
Keselman, Bronwen Olson, Matilda Slosser, Simon Traub, Harvard Wang,
Isabelle Young, Lance Zhang  *Commended Students:* Eric Barbieri, Thomas
Cardozo, Mira Echambadi, Meghan Flack, Thomas Flanagan, Camryn Foster,
Jonathan Friedman, Eva Gorenburg, Addison Hart, Amos Langsner, Margaret
Lehman, Daniel Lubie, Eleanor Mackey, Sam O'Nuallain, Henry Powers, Kaitlyn
Ramesh, Alexandra Rieser, Jonathan Schor, Rebecca Schwartz, Phoebe Shubin,
Abigail Sprinsky, Vincent Wang, William Yin, Christopher Zhang, Jacob
Zinner.  We are proud of these and all of our students who each day
demonstrate a commitment to scholarship and growth!

Respectfully,

Dan Gutekanst
Superintendent of Schools
Needham Public Schools
1330 Highland Avenue, Needham, MA 02492
781-455-0400 x11203
dan_gutekanst at needham.k12.ma.us

ATTENTION: If you speak a language other than English, language assistance
services are available to you free of charge. Contact your child’s school
for assistance.

Chinese (Simplified): 请注意:如果您的母语不是英语,我们将免费提供您语言辅助服务。如需协助,请与您孩子 的学校联系。

Spanish: ATENCION: Si usted habla un idioma que no sea el inglés, hay
servicios de asistencia lingüística disponibles gratis. Contacte la escuela
de su hijo para asistencia.

Russian: ВНИМАНИЕ: Если вы не говорите на английском языке, для вас
доступны бесплатные языковые сервисы на вашем языке. Обратитесь за помощью
в школу, в которой учится ваш ребенок.