Needham Public Schools Superintendent's Update superintendents_update at lists.needham.k12.ma.us
Wed Mar 25 21:03:03 UTC 2020

March 25, 2020

Dear Needham Public Schools Families:

This afternoon Governor Charlie Baker and the Commissioner of the
Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE), Mr. Jeff Riley,
announced that all Massachusetts schools will remain closed until at least
Monday, May 4th.

Commissioner Riley explained that he is developing educational programming
guidelines to help students remain engaged in learning during this time out
of school. He expects to share this guidance with school districts in the
next day or so. In collaboration with Needham Public Schools administrative
and teacher leaders, I will review this guidance and determine what is the
best way forward for our students in the Needham Public Schools. It is my
expectation that we will work cooperatively with our teachers to plan for
our students' continued learning needs. Clearly, with an extended period of
school closure, it will soon be time for us to pivot our planning and
instruction to ensure we are supporting our students' learning and growth
as much as it is possible under these extraordinary circumstances.

In the days ahead, you can expect to hear from me and your building
principal about next steps. In the meantime, teachers and staff will
continue to provide opportunities for enrichment, learning, and exploration
even as they plan for a longer period of school closure. If you have a
question about your child, please email your child's teacher or principal.
We are committed to connecting with our students and maintaining strong,
positive, and nurturing relationships during this time and always.

I appreciate your patience, guidance, and support as we work together to
support the children and families of the Needham Public Schools.

Please stay safe and healthy.

Respectfully,

Dan Gutekanst

Superintendent of Schools