Needham Public Schools Superintendent's Update superintendents_update at lists.needham.k12.ma.us
Mon Jun 8 00:11:29 UTC 2020

Dear Needham Public Schools Families:

As we begin a new week, allow me to share a few brief updates:

*•  School Transportation*   Families can begin registering for the bus for
the 2020-21 school year beginning tomorrow, Monday, June 8th.  Click on
this link for registration information:  School Bus Registration Information
<http://www.needham.k12.ma.us/departments/business__operations/transportation>
While the plans for the opening of the new school year on September 2nd are
uncertain at this time, it is important for families who are eligible for
free transportation and those who wish to pay for transportation to
register in the coming days.  If you register and pay for the bus and for
any reason the service is unavailable or is canceled due to ongoing health
concerns, families will receive a refund. Throughout the summer we will
provide transportation updates, including any new health or seating
protocols required on buses, to parents who have registered.

*•  Reopening School in the Fall*  This topic, of course, is on the mind of
every parent, student, and school staff member.  At the present time I do
not have a clear answer to families about what school will look like in the
fall.  While I am personally optimistic that students will return to a "new
normal" in the fall, meaning enhanced health protocols (e.g., face masks,
health screenings, limiting activities) will be introduced, we are awaiting
additional guidance from the Massachusetts Department of Elementary and
Secondary Education (DESE) before we can announce plans.  I can share the
following:

*-* DESE Commissioner Jeff Riley has convened a task force to make
recommendations about how, when, and under what conditions schools would
reopen in the fall.  The Commissioner expects to provide guidance to school
districts later in June; the NPS will use the Commissioner's guidance as a
basis to develop plans at the local level.  You can find out more about the
Commissioner's task force and other information related to the COVID-19
emergency here: Massachusetts DESE/COVID-19 Information
<http://www.doe.mass.edu/covid19/on-desktop.html>

*-* The Needham Public Schools convened the COVID-19 Advisory Committee,
comprised of staff, public health officials, parents, students and school
committee members, to guide and advise the staff as we consider plans for
reopening.  The advisory committee will meet throughout the summer and into
next year to provide guidance and feedback on our remote learning plans,
health and safety protocols, school maintenance, and technology needs.  You
can view a recent update to the School Committee about Needham's response
to the school closure and the advisory committee here: June 2, 2020 Update
to the School Committee
<https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1uQVkvbZ5p6kQRrIxDvedYLiUosUwQExFF8ZSRxZkZKk/edit?usp=sharing>

*-* While the timeline for making decisions about the reopening of schools
will depend on the Commissioner's guidance as well as public health
considerations, I expect to bring tentative plans and updates to the School
Committee the first week in July.  Of course, any plans we make to reopen
schools could be changed later in the summer if public health officials
determine it is necessary to do so.  We will have to be flexible and nimble
with our planning to adjust as the situation requires.  Families can expect
regular updates and information throughout the summer months as we plan for
your child's new school year.

*•  Congratulations to the NHS Class of 2020!  *Today the Needham community
celebrated the 400 + members of the Needham High School Class of 2020
during a parade that began at TripAdvisor and wound its way through town
until it culminated at the high school with hundreds of staff, families,
and School Committee members cheering them on.  The grads looked exuberant,
and it was wonderful to see how community members streamed out of their
homes on the route to congratulate them.  You can view the Senior Awards
presentations here: Senior Awards
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtpWIj2j9_k&feature=youtu.be> and watch
the 2020 Virtual NHS Graduation Ceremony here: Needham High School Class of
2020 Virtual Graduation
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onI6QOJr6Nc&feature=youtu.be>
On behalf of the Needham Public Schools, let me take this opportunity to
wish these young people the very best as they move beyond Needham High
School.  Congratulations, Class of '20!

As always, feel free to contact me at 781.455.0400, x11203 or
dan_gutekanst at needham.k12.ma.us if you have any questions, comments, or
suggestions.

Sincerely,

Dan Gutekanst
Superintendent of Schools
Needham Public Schools
1330 Highland Avenue, Needham, MA 02492
781-455-0400 x11203

ATTENTION: If you speak a language other than English, language assistance
services are available to you free of charge. Contact your child’s school
for assistance.

Chinese (Simplified): 请注意:如果您的母语不是英语,我们将免费提供您语言辅助服务。如需协助,请与您孩子 的学校联系。

Spanish: ATENCION: Si usted habla un idioma que no sea el inglés, hay
servicios de asistencia lingüística disponibles gratis. Contacte la escuela
de su hijo para asistencia.

Russian: ВНИМАНИЕ: Если вы не говорите на английском языке, для вас
доступны бесплатные языковые сервисы на вашем языке. Обратитесь за помощью
в школу, в которой учится ваш ребенок.