Needham Public Schools Superintendent's Update superintendents_update at lists.needham.k12.ma.us
Mon Apr 6 12:05:04 UTC 2020

Dear Needham Public Schools Families:

With the advent of the COVID-19 virus, we will be conducting instruction to
our students via video conferences and other forms of remote learning as
part of the Needham Public Schools Remote Learning Plan
<http://www.needham.k12.ma.us/UserFiles/Servers/Server_64429/File/District/Superintendent/District%20Remote%20Learning%20Plan.pdf>.
Our teachers will be using technology platforms, for example, Google
Classroom <https://edu.google.com/products/classroom/?modal_active=none>
and Seesaw <https://web.seesaw.me/>, to engage and manage student learning.
I write to inform you of our plans and to make families and students aware
of certain state and federal laws and regulations that are designed to
protect students and student privacy.

Many teachers will be recording their synchronous lessons for students who
are unable to attend a class in “real time.” The primary focus of the video
and audio recording will be on the lesson provided, not on the students in
the class. However, questions and comments asked and spoken by students
will be part of any recording. Only students assigned to that specific
group/class will have access to the video recording. The recordings will
not be made public in any capacity.

Parents have the opportunity to opt out if you choose to not have your
child participate in  any “real time” video conference that is recorded by
the teacher. If you choose to opt out, the teacher will still  hold the
session and your child will be able to view the recorded video at a later
time. We are required to inform you of the following regulations and ask
for your consent for your child to engage in the remote learning experience
and to inform you of the following NPS policy, state, and federal laws,
including the so-called Massachusetts Wiretapping Act
<https://malegislature.gov/laws/generallaws/partiv/titlei/chapter272/section99>
and the Federal Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)
<https://www2.ed.gov/policy/gen/guid/fpco/ferpa/index.html>, which are
applicable to the implementation of the District's plan. Further, it is our
expectation that students and parents/guardians understand and agree to the
following conditions:

• Parents and students must refrain from recording any and all remote
lessons.

• Parents/ guardians are permitted to observe online instruction in a
non-disruptive manner.

• To the extent that remote learning opportunities provide access to
confidential student information, all participants must agree ahead of time
to refrain from disseminating any confidential student information about
other student participants with any and all third parties.

• Students, and where appropriate parents/guardians, agree to engage in
virtual educational experiences dressed appropriately, in a quiet, private
area to the extent practicable given the circumstances, in order to
minimize background noise and distractions and to protect the integrity of
student engagement as well as student confidentiality.

• Parents/guardians and other household members who normally are not privy
to day-to-day classroom and group service discussions agree to respect and
keep confidential any personal or private information (e.g. disability
status) inadvertently discovered about other students due to proximity to
virtual education.

• Screenshots, pictures, audio/video recording and distribution of any
virtual educational experience are prohibited in order to protect student
privacy, proactively prevent potential cyberbullying, prevent the
distribution of copyrighted materials and comply with Massachusetts law.

• Students must adhere to the District's Responsible Use Policy
<http://www.needham.k12.ma.us/departments/information_technology_services/responsible_use_policy>

Please go to this form
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdrcMvOyX-gEB4TpxkXZKaRKcRCqUxobfquMNZUYoLSdnZv2Q/viewform>
to let us know if you would like to opt your child out of lessons that the
teacher is recording.  If we do not hear from you, we will assume that you
agree to the above conditions and are providing your consent for your child
to be recorded and for your child's participation in the District's Remote
Learning Plan
<http://www.needham.k12.ma.us/UserFiles/Servers/Server_64429/File/District/Superintendent/District%20Remote%20Learning%20Plan.pdf>
.

Should you have any questions about the implementation of the district's
Remote Learning Plan, please contact your child's principal or Dr. Terry
Duggan, the Assistant Superintendent for Student Learning at
terry_duggan at needham.k12.ma.us . Please also reach out to us as soon as
possible if you anticipate or become aware of any issues with your child
accessing the remote opportunities provided by the District.

Sincerely,

Dan Gutekanst

Superintendent

Needham Public Schools

Parents have the right to opt their child out of our remote learning plan.