Needham Public Schools Superintendent's Update superintendents_update at lists.needham.k12.ma.us
Fri Apr 3 00:14:01 UTC 2020

April 2, 2020

Dear Needham Public Schools Families:

First and foremost, I hope everyone in your household is safe and healthy.
While I recognize the enormous challenge for them, I also hope our young
people are doing their level best to maintain social distancing; the
science clearly says it’s one big way we all can help make this pandemic
end sooner.

Given the extraordinary situation we find ourselves in during the outbreak
of COVID-19, our students’ wellbeing and education remain a priority for
the district, and I’d like to share with you how we intend to provide
services and supports to our 5,700 students and their families during this
period of school closure:

•  The district is providing free meal service for *any child or teen* in
need in Needham; there is no eligibility requirement or paperwork. Please
read about the Child Nutrition Services Program
<http://www.needham.k12.ma.us/UserFiles/Servers/Server_64429/File/District/Superintendent/NPS%20meal%20service%20during%20school%20closure%20notice.pdf>
and help us spread the word about the availability of “grab and go” bags
containing breakfast and lunch for those children experiencing food
hardship. Any Needham student, no questions asked, can receive a nutritious
breakfast and lunch without cost.

•  In an effort to be responsive to the educational needs of all our
students through the state-mandated school closure now extended until May
4th, we collaborated with our teachers and administrators to develop a
viable and appropriate Needham Public Schools (NPS) Remote Learning Plan
<http://www.needham.k12.ma.us/UserFiles/Servers/Server_64429/File/District/Superintendent/District%20Remote%20Learning%20Plan.pdf>
to provide educational programming, services, and curriculum consistent
with recent guidance from the Department of Elementary and Secondary
Education (DESE). Our model is a combination of educator directed and
student self-directed learning that varies depending on student age,
individual and family needs, access and capacity for remote learning
(including access to technology and the internet), and the ongoing health
of students and families.

The remote learning plan for our district is designed to help restore a
sense of structure and routine to our students. However, remote learning
cannot replace the in-person school experience, and we should not expect
remote learning to replicate the traditional classroom experience,
including the length of a school day. While different, the core of our
remote learning plan maintains the district’s commitment to academics,
social and emotional learning, and equity—hallmarks of an education in the
Needham Public Schools.

An overview of the plan, which will be phased in beginning next Monday,
April 6th, is available here for families to review: NPS Remote Learning
Plan
<http://www.needham.k12.ma.us/UserFiles/Servers/Server_64429/File/District/Superintendent/District%20Remote%20Learning%20Plan.pdf>.
Families and students will be hearing directly from school principals in
the next day or two about details and specific schedules for their remote
learning experiences. The focus at each school will be on reinforcing
skills already taught this school year, applying and deepening these
skills, and introducing new learning and concepts. Teachers will be using a
range of technologies and practices, materials and resources. The target
length of time for student engagement with learning will not be the amount
of screen time they will be experiencing. Students will have direct teacher
contact time; support time with counselors, nurses, and other related
service providers; student collaboration time; and individual student work
time. Our hope is students will find the new formats accessible and
engaging, and that families will be our partners in the learning process.

Let me stress this point:  Our remote learning plan will not replace the
classroom or school experience.  Students will not be engaged in a 6-hour
day with certain activities, lessons, and assignments scheduled in specific
intervals with a teacher guiding the learning each step.  This will be a
truncated and very different learning environment for our students.
Although it is impossible to replace the full educational experience
virtually, our remote learning program seeks to provide students a range of
opportunities to build their mind, body, and spirit. Whether in the
classroom physically or virtually, our community will continue to promote
excellence and character through our spirit of working together.

• A Remote Learning Support/Services Plan
<http://www.needham.k12.ma.us/departments/student_support_services/special_education>
will be made available for families with students requiring special
education services. This plan outlines how and to what extent special
education, related services and accommodations & modifications will be
provided during this period of school closure. Rest assured, we will
continue to do our best to remain connected and to support continued
learning for all students.

More information will be shared by your child’s principal within the day
and as the NPS Remote Learning Plan is thoughtfully rolled out each week
starting April 6th through May 1st.

Finally, many families have inquired about the status of April vacation.
Given that travel plans are upended this spring and that we would like to
provide some continuity in learning and services for families, I am
exploring with the Needham School Committee the possibility of canceling
the April break (with the exception of Patriot’s Day), which, in turn,
would allow us to shorten the school year with a last day of school to be
held on Friday, June 19th.  I will consider this carefully with the staff
and ultimately make a recommendation to the School Committee which is in
the best interest of our students, their families, and our educators.

On behalf of a very dedicated and caring staff, please know how much we
look forward to returning to our buildings this spring and greeting every
student when we reopen the school doors. We miss them like crazy! We
recognize, of course, that there are many factors outside our control right
now, and we will respond to the changing situation and solve the problems
as they arise. What will not change is our commitment to maintain and
nurture strong relationships with our amazing students and their caring and
supportive families.

Please continue to reach out to me with your questions or concerns.  My
phone number is 781.455.0400, x11203 or dan_gutekanst at needham.k12.ma.us

Please take care of yourself and stay healthy,

Dan Gutekanst

Superintendent of Schools