Needham Public Schools Superintendent's Update superintendents_update at lists.needham.k12.ma.us
Tue Apr 16 15:22:13 UTC 2019

Dear Needham Public Schools Families:

Allow me to share a few updates as we kick off the April break:

*•  **Community Equity Forum * The Needham Public Schools Race, Equity,
Access, & Leadership (REAL) Coalition will facilitate a forum to update the
community on our efforts on Wednesday, April 24th, 2019 in the Needham High
School Cafeteria from 6:00-8:00 p.m.  Please join us as we share our
challenges and opportunities to lift learning for all Needham's students.

*•  Needham Schools Spotlight  *Please check out the latest cable show, Needham
Schools Spotlight
<http://www.needham.k12.ma.us/news/what_s_new/needham_schools_spotlight>,
featuring
a conversation with seven amazing NHS students who lead Students Advocating
for Equity (SAFE).  These students share candid and insightful comments and
ideas about why talking about race, bias, and a positive and inclusive
school culture are important.  It's a 28 minute video that is worthwhile to
watch!

*• School Bus Transportation *Bus Registration for the 2019-20 school year
is now open. Please be sure to register for a seat on the bus as soon as
possible because seats do fill up!  *While the deadline to register is May
15th, many bus routes fill up well before that date, so please complete
your form early.*  You must register whether or not you are purchasing a
bus pass or are eligible for free transportation.  More information and
forms can be found on the district's website:  NPS Transportation
Information and Forms
<http://www.needham.k12.ma.us/departments/business__operations/transportation/transportation_forms>

*•  Kudos and Congrats to our Musicians!  *Recently several of our student
musicians  earned top awards in the Massachusetts Instrumental and Choral
Conductors (MICCA) Concerts.  These awards are quite prestigious and
highlight the scholarship, creativity, discipline, and artistry of our
students. Congratulations to them and their dedicated teachers:

-  Pollard *8th Grade Band* and *Wind Ensemble* both earned *GOLD *medals
under Mr. Heldt's direction.
-  The *NHS Chorus* *& Chamber Strings* earned *GOLD *under Mr.
VanderWoude's direction.
-  The *NHS Concert Band* earned a *SILVER *and the *Symphonic Band* earned
*GOLD* under the direction of Ms. McLallen.
-  The *8th Grade Treble Chorus* and *Select Choir* both earned *GOLD*
medals under the direction of  Ms. Grina.

Finally, I hope you enjoy a restful April break with families and friends.
For those families celebrating Passover and Easter, I wish you, your
family, and friends a joyful and peaceful holiday.

As always, please feel free to contact me with any questions or comments:
781.455.0400, extension 11203 or dan_gutekanst at needham.k12.ma.us

Respectfully,

Dan Gutekanst
Superintendent of Schools