Needham Public Schools Superintendent's Update superintendents_update at lists.needham.mec.edu
Wed Nov 22 15:14:05 EST 2017

Dear Needham Families:

Allow me to share the following updates:

*•  "Snow Daze" *In the unlikely event a winter storm may require the
closing or delayed opening of the Needham Public Schools, I will do my
level best to make a decision about a cancellation or delay by about 5:30
a.m.  Unless it is abundantly clear what the weather conditions will be, I
am often reluctant to call off school the evening before a storm is
predicted because New England weather is fickle.  Once a decision is made,
alerts will go out via email, phone, and on local TV.  The quickest way to
find out is on Twitter where I also post the information. (
For more info:  https://twitter.com/@NPS_Supt )

It is important for students to be in classes as scheduled throughout the
year, and I don't believe a winter storm should necessarily keep us away
from school.  If it is predicted to snow, for instance, four to seven
inches I am inclined to hold classes. There are circumstances, however,
when the snow is minimal but icy and dangerous roads may prevent a safe
school opening or at least require a delay.  Safety for students and staff,
of course, will always be my first consideration.  This coming winter
parents and students should leave plenty of time to get to school and keep
a shovel and galoshes nearby!

*•  Needham Education Foundation - Teacher Appreciation *Please consider
contributing to the NEF by sending a *Teacher Appreciation Card*.  In this
way you will help the NEF provide funds for innovative school programing,
and you will thank a teacher or staff member for his/her work with your
child.  More information here:  NEF <http://www.nefneedham.org/>

*•  Student Achievements  *Congratulations are in order for the two
Massachusetts Association of School Superintendents (MASS) Academic
Excellence Award honorees, Isabel Barnet and Oliver Hirshland, both NHS
seniors.  Isabel and Oliver were honored at a recent School Committee
meeting for their superb commitment to learning and academic excellence.
They clearly represent our core values around Scholarship and Personal
Growth!  At the School Committee meeting both seniors expressed their deep
appreciation for their parents' support and to all of the Needham teachers
who have guided and assisted them over the years.

Kudos also to the Needham High Golf Team for being honored with the
prestigious Massachusetts Interscholastic Athletic Association (MIAA)
Sportsmanship Award presented to a team that exemplifies good spirit, fair
play, maturity, discipline, and leadership.
Whether on the greens, in the pool, in the classroom, on the field, or on
the stage, our students are talented, mature, hardworking, and poised.
Needham families and the teachers and coaches who have guided them should
rightly be proud!

*•  Happy Thanksgiving!*  A teacher shared with me that a couple of her
students who are recent immigrants to this country were not expecting to
celebrate or observe the Thanksgiving holiday because the tradition is new
to the family.  Of course, I always assumed *everyone* understands,
appreciates, and celebrates Thanksgiving! (I think it's the best holiday of
the year!)   The teacher's conversation with me is a reminder that the
Needham Public Schools increasingly enroll children from many nations with
diverse languages, faiths, and backgrounds.  Their presence in our
community and classrooms prompts us to share our wonderful traditions and
to learn about our students' cultures and traditions.  The opportunity to
develop new relationships and understanding is indeed powerful.

We are fortunate to live, work, and learn in an amazing community like
Needham that values children, and we are especially blessed to be citizens
in a vibrant country that serves, however imperfectly, as a model of
democracy, inclusion, and justice to the rest of a sometimes weary world.  I
know I am grateful for my family and to work with a talented staff,
committed parents, and the exceptional young people of Needham - all of
whom inspire civility, peace, and hope.

So however you are observing the holiday, I hope it is a good one for you
and your family! * Happy Thanksgiving!*

As always, you can be in touch with me via phone (781.455.0400, x203) or
email: dan_gutekanst at needham.k12.ma.us
*Go Rockets!  Beat Wellesley!! *

Sincerely,

Dan Gutekanst