Needham Public Schools Superintendent's Update superintendents_update at lists.needham.mec.edu
Wed Nov 1 17:10:00 EDT 2017

Dear Needham Families:

Allow me to share the following updates and reminders:

*•  2017-18 District Goals  *The Needham School Committee recently adopted
District priorities and goals for the 2017-18 school year.  For more
information:
2017-18 Needham Public Schools Goals
<http://rwd1.needham.k12.ma.us/news/documents/NPSDistrict%20Goals2017-2018.pdf>

*•  Equity in the Needham Public Schools:  Parent Focus Group*
There will be one more opportunity for parents to meet with our equity
audit consultant, Christine Robinson, to share thoughts, concerns, and
ideas.  I will introduce parents to Ms. Robinson on Wednesday, November 8th
at 6:30 p.m. at 142 Warren St., Roxbury.  (This address is connected to the
12th Baptist Church, two doors down.)  To learn more about the equity
audit, please look here: Placement Practices in the Needham Schools
<http://npssuperintendent.blogspot.com/2017/01/> and here:  Supporting All
Students in the NPS: Report to the School Committee
<http://rwd1.needham.k12.ma.us/news/documents/School%20Committee%20Update%20on%20Racial%20Equity%20(4).pdf>
 We anticipate sharing the consultant's report to the School Committee in
December or January.

*•  **6th Annual Needham Diversity Summit  *In collaboration with the
Needham Schools, Needham's 5th Annual Diversity Summit is scheduled for
this Saturday, November 18th at Pollard from 8:30 a.m. - 3:00. The summit
will bring together community leaders, friends, neighbors, and students for
an event designed to explore, foster, strengthen, and celebrate Needham's
diversity of socioeconomic status, race, sexual orientation, gender,
religion, ethnic identity, age, immigration status, and ability.  This
annual event aims to create a network of people committed to creating an
equitable and welcoming town, and to challenging its residents to think in
new ways about our evolving community.  For more information, including
registration: Needham Diversity Initiative
<http://www.needhamdiversity.org/>

*•  Groundbreaking Ceremony for the Sunita L. Williams Elementary
School!  *Parents
and community members are welcome to attend the Groundbreaking Ceremony for
the new Sunita L. Williams Elementary School located at 585 Central Avenue
on Friday, November 17th at 10:00 a.m.  The new school is scheduled to open
in September 2019.

*•  Superintendent's Blog*  My recent post includes a message from
Assistant Superintendent for Student Learning, Dr. Terry Duggan, about the
new MCAS results:  Superintendent's Blog
<http://npssuperintendent.blogspot.com/>

*•  Needham Schools Spotlight  *Please check out the latest cable show
featuring a discussion about the strong collaboration and partnership
between the Needham Police Department and the Needham Public Schools:  Needham
Schools Spotlight
<http://www2.needham.k12.ma.us/nhs/TV-nps/17-18/studentsafety.htm> Police
Chief John Schlittler, School Resource Officer Ryan O'Leary, NHS Principal
Aaron Sicotte, Assistant Principal Aly Coubrough-Argentieri, and Athletic
Director Dan Lee share their thoughts and comments about the Needham Public
Schools and Needham Police Memorandum of Understanding
<http://rwd1.needham.k12.ma.us/superintendent/documents/mou2-8-17.pdf> and
the school and police response to underage drinking.

• * Twitter:  Snow Day Updates ** (I know, I know... It's too early for
this!!)  *Setting up and managing a Twitter account is simple and will
allow you a quick, easy, and fun way to stay connected to school news and
events.  *I tweet the first notification about weather-related school
closings or delays on Twitter.* It's the quickest and simplest way to stay
informed and updated about important school news.  For more info:
https://twitter.com/@NPS_Supt

As always, you can be in touch with me via phone (781.455.0400, x203) or
email: dan_gutekanst at needham.k12.ma.us
Sincerely,

Dan Gutekanst
Superintendent of Schools