Needham Public Schools Superintendent's Update superintendents_update at lists.needham.mec.edu
Wed Mar 22 13:48:36 EDT 2017

Dear Needham Families:

Allow me to share the following updates:

*•  School Committee Open House this Saturday, March 25th  *Please join
members of the School Committee on Saturday morning, March 25th from 9:00
until 10:30 a.m. at Needham High School in the Da Vinci Workshop
<https://www.facebook.com/DaVinciWorkshopNHS/?ref=page_internal> for an
informal *technology showcase, featuring students and staff technology
demonstrations*.  This is also an ideal opportunity for parents and members
of the community to chat informally with your School Committee members and
superintendent.   Please stop by and say hello!

*•  Needham High School Classroom Feasibility  *The Town has undertaken a
comprehensive feasibility study to analyze the need for additional
classroom space at Needham High School and to propose options to meet those
needs.  A recent presentation to the School Committee about the project can
be found here:  NHS Feasibility Update
<http://rwd1.needham.k12.ma.us/news/documents/NeedhamHighSchoolFeasibilityUpdate.pdf>

As many parents, high school students, and staff are aware, Needham High
School's growing enrollment exceeds the existing capacity of the building,
and the need for additional space has become critical. A phase one
expansion of the high school's cafeteria to accommodate the large number of
students enrolled at NHS was completed this past summer. Now it is time for
the School Committee to hear from parents and the community about a
possible phase two classroom expansion.

To learn more about this project and provide input, please join the School
Committee at a public hearing at the Needham Free Public Library at 6:30
p.m. next Monday evening, March 27th. Community members will hear a brief
presentation about the classroom options and then have an opportunity to
provide feedback and comments.  Later that evening, beginning at 7:30 p.m.,
the School Committee and the Permanent Public Building Committee (PPBC)
will meet to vote on an option to present as a possible project to May Town
Meeting.  Your participation is important.  You may also contact the School
Committee via email: schoolcommittee at needham.k2.ma.us .

*•  Student Achievements*  Finally, congratulations to several student
groups for recent performances and accomplishments...  Kudos to the Needham
High School cast and crew of Pirates of Penzance who took the stage over
this past weekend and shared their song, dance, laughter, and talents with
the community.  It was an awesome show!

Congrats, as well, to several winter athletes and teams:  The NHS
Cheerleaders made it to the State Tournament. . . the undefeated Boys' Swim
Team and Senior Jack Higgins won the state title in the 100 Breaststroke. .
. Sophomore Nordic Ski Team member Rok Gundaker captured the State's
Individual Boys Title. . . Senior wrestlers Brady Liss and David Kurker
each won individual Massachusetts Interscholastic Athletic Association
(MIAA) State Titles. . . NHS boys' basketball and girls' hockey teams both
competed in state athletic tournaments in the last week. For the first time
in school history, the boys secured the MIAA South Sectional Championship,
and the girls, after an undefeated season, played in the Division I MIAA
Hockey Championship.  While the girls came up short and lost to Woburn,
their season - and the boys as well - was characterized by hard work,
athleticism, great spirit, and sportsmanship.

Lastly, a big thank you to the Needham Education Foundation (NEF) for
sponsoring last weekend's Spelling Bee!  The NEF is our strong and
consistent partner in educational innovation, and we appreciate their
incredible support and enthusiasm for our students and staff.  I am proud
to share a photo of the winning elementary team from Eliot, the *Queen Bees*
, Talia Feeney, Taylor Chen, and Danielle Sockol.  *Congratulations, girls!*

*[image: Inline image 1]*

As always, thank you for your support and feedback.

Dan Gutekanst
Superintendent of Schools
781.455.0400, x203
dan_gutekanst at needham.k12.ma.us