Needham Public Schools Superintendent's Update superintendents_update at lists.needham.mec.edu
Sun Jun 18 21:38:33 EDT 2017

Dear Needham Families:

Allow me to share the following updates as we conclude another busy and
successful school year:

*•  Congratulations to our Retirees!  *At our recent Retirement Reception
we honored several NPS staff retiring at year's end.  Together they
represent over 225 years of service to our students and the profession:

*Nancy Broadley*, *Mitchell*, *Charles Connor*, *Preschool*, *Janet
Fasano, Margo Fisher-Martin, Wayne Heike, Estelle McCarthy, Yu-Wen Wang, **High
School*, *Deb Gammerman*, *Technology Director, **Robin Lagace*,
*Eliot*,  *David
Neves*, *Fine & Performing Arts Director*, *Anne Marie Normant*,
*KASE*, *Joanne
Noumi,* *Mitchell*, *Catherine Prout,**Broadmeadow*, *Mary Grace Summergrad*
, *Community Education.*

We wish them well and thank them for their service!

*•  NEF Thank you Cards*  As the school year draws to a close, honor a
special teacher, coach or staff person by making a donation in his or her
name to the Needham Education Foundation (NEF).  NEF Teacher Appreciation
Cards make it simple to show your gratitude, while supporting innovation
and excellence in the Needham Public Schools.

​P
urchase cards at Taylor’s Stationery, Sudbury Farms, Roche Brothers or
Volante Farms.  If you have questions, please contact Maureen Callahan at
mcallahan at nefneedham.org.

*•  New School Name  *Recently the School Committee voted unanimously to
name the school that will replace Hillside the *Sunita L. Williams
Elementary School.*  Sunita, who attended school in Needham beginning in
Kindergarten at Hillside and was also a 1983 NHS graduate, is a Navy
Captain and NASA astronaut who has flown two missions on the International
Space Station.  We are all extremely excited about the school's new name,
and we look forward to welcoming Captain Williams home for the school's
dedication in about two years!  The Needham Times has a nice story about
the new school's name: School Committee Names New School
<http://needham.wickedlocal.com/news/20170614/new-needham-school-to-be-named-in-honor-of-astronaut-sunita-williams>

*•  NHS Student Achievements  *Supported by dedicated teachers and coaches,
many NPS students have recently enjoyed success in and outside the
classroom:

118 NHS students were notified that they have been recognized for their
world language proficiency in Spanish, Latin, and French.  These students
competed in national exams, resulting in the 118 awards, including 20 gold
medals!  Sophomore Noah Schwartz earned a perfect score on the Latin exam.
A perfect score of 40/40 on the National Latin Exam is such a remarkable
achievement that in 2017 only 813 students, out of over 135,000 students
who participated in the US and 16 other countries, attained this
distinction. That's about 0.6%!

At the National Speech and Debate Tournament in Louisville, three NHS
students ranked among the top performers out of hundreds of schools
competing.

Boys' Lacrosse and Boys' Volleyball enjoyed incredible seasons, each
competing in state tournaments.  Junior Davonte Burnett ran a time of 10.48
and captured 1st place in the 100M at the New England Track Championship.

And the Girls' Lacrosse team captured the Division I State Championship at
Boston University over the weekend, the first time in over 15 years!. *Go
Rockets!!*

Congratulations to all of our students who make us proud each day!

*•  6th Graders Offer Advice to Graduates   *Read my recent blog post to
learn what graduation advice High Rock students have for the Class of
2017: Superintendent's
Blog <http://npssuperintendent.blogspot.com/>  Spoiler Alert:  6th graders
are pretty smart!

Finally, let me take this opportunity to say thank you to our parents,
staff, and all of our students for another successful year in the Needham
Schools.  Together we kept the focus on the important work:  Providing an
excellent education to the very best young people around.  Thanks for your
ongoing guidance, support, and generous spirit.

It is an exceptional honor for me to serve as your superintendent.

Enjoy the summer months with your family!

Respectfully,

Dan Gutekanst
Superinetndent
Needham Public Schools