Needham Public Schools Superintendent's Update superintendents_update at lists.needham.mec.edu
Tue Jan 24 09:00:45 EST 2017

Dear Needham Families:

Allow me to share a few updates as we begin a new week of learning in the
Needham Schools:

*•  Bus Updates on Twitter*  There are times a bus or van can be delayed
due to road conditions or a mechanical issue.  Parents and students who
wish to receive updates about school transportation can sign on to Twitter
to receive timely, updated, and helpful alerts:
https://twitter.com/NeedhamPSTrans  Parents and students are also
encouraged to follow me on Twitter to receive important school news and
updates, including weather-related school cancellations:
https://twitter.com/NPS_Supt  Give it a try!

*•  Needham Unplugged*  Again this year the Needham Public Schools will
support the efforts of Needham Youth Services on Thursday, March 9th when
we will observe Needham Unplugged
<http://www.needhamma.gov/index.aspx?nid=113>, a community-wide event in
which students, parents, teachers, and residents "unplug" from hectic lives
for an evening free of meetings, community events, and homework.
*•  Superintendent's Blog * This month's post is co-authored by School
Committee Chair Sue Neckes and me: Superintendent's Blog
<http://npssuperintendent.blogspot.com/>  We discuss a recent parent
concern about the assignment and placement process for students.

*•  School Committee Technology & Learning Open House  *The School
Committee will host a spring Open House featuring technology learning,
student demonstrations, and STEM related projects at the Needham High
School Da Vinci Lab on Saturday, March 25th from 9 until 10:30 a.m.  Please
mark the date!

*•  Screenagers*  The Needham Schools, Needham Youth Services, and Needham
PTCs are excited to show the new documentary, Screenagers
<http://www.screenagersmovie.com/> , at Newman on Wednesday, March 29th at
7:00 p.m.  The documentary shares insights into how to understand and
navigate the digital world in which our young people are immersed.  A brief
panel discussion will follow the showing.  Ticket and registration
information will be available soon.

As always, please feel free to contact me with any questions or comments:
 781.455.0400, x203 or dan_gutekanst at needham.k12.ma.us

Dan Gutekanst

Superintendent of Schools