Needham Public Schools Superintendent's Update superintendents_update at lists.needham.mec.edu
Mon Jan 2 19:47:40 EST 2017

January 2, 2017

Dear Needham Families:

Happy New Year!  I hope that Needham's families relaxed with some down
time, reading, laughter, and meals enjoyed together over the holidays.  My
wife Karen and I were very pleased to have our three daughters home for
Christmas, and we were sad to see them leave to return to DC, Baltimore,
and Newark.  It was just great to have them home!

Allow me to share a few items as we begin the New Year:

•  *School Budget & Public Hearing*  The School Committee is currently
reviewing a proposed 5.57% increase in the budget for the 2017-18 school
year (FY18).  The budget plan maintains services in the schools and
provides the resources required to address enrollment growth and special
education needs.   To view my presentation of the budget to the School
Committee and learn more about the budget planning process:  NPS FY18
Budget Documents
<http://rwd1.needham.k12.ma.us/finance/Budget#Budget%20FY18>  The School
Committee  encourages you to attend the upcoming *Budget Hearing* *scheduled
at 7:00 p.m. for Tuesday, January 17th* at Broadmeadow to learn more about
the plan and voice your ideas, questions, concerns, and comments.

*•  Martin Luther King Celebration  *Once again this year the schools will
partner with the Needham Diversity Committee, Needham Clergy Association,
and Needham Human Rights Commission to celebrate the life and meaning of
Dr. King.  Please plan on joining us at 10:00 a.m. on Monday, January 16,
2016 at Needham High School for reflections, poetry, music, and more.

*•  Superintendent's Blog*  My recent post addresses the FY18 Budget
plan:  Superintendent's
Blog <http://npssuperintendent.blogspot.com/>

As always, please feel free to contact me with any questions or comments:
 781.455.0400, x203 or dan_gutekanst at needham.k12.ma.us

Best wishes for a healthy and happy 2017!

Dan Gutekanst

Superintendent of Schools