Needham Public Schools Superintendent's Update superintendents_update at lists.needham.mec.edu
Fri Dec 15 11:57:40 EST 2017

December 15, 2017

Dear Needham Public Schools Families:

For those families celebrating the Festival of Lights, Happy Hanukkah!
Allow me to share a few items of interest:

*•  Equity in the Needham Public Schools  *Next Tuesday evening at
Broadmeadow beginning at 7:00 p.m. the School Committee will hear a
presentation from the District's equity consultant, Ms. Christine Robinson,
who will share initial findings of her work and suggest next steps for the
District to consider.  Since last summer, Ms. Robinson has been reviewing
school practices and procedures and meeting with parents, staff, and
students to learn about issues of equity and inclusion in the Needham
Public Schools.  Folks are encouraged to attend and listen to the
presentation.

•  *2018-19 (FY19) School Budget & Hearing*  The School Committee is
currently reviewing a proposed 4.6% increase in the budget for the 2018-19
school year (FY19).  The budget plan maintains services in the schools and
provides the resources required to address enrollment growth and special
education needs.   The School Committee is working closely with the school
administration, Finance Committee, and Town Manager's office to ensure
resources are available to provide a quality educational program for each
Needham student.  However, it will be a challenge to secure all the
resources needed to move school programs forward, especially as the Schools
and Town balance a variety of important needs.

You may view the presentation I shared with the School Committee recently
by clicking this link: FY19 Budget Presentation
<http://www.needham.k12.ma.us/common/pages/DisplayFile.aspx?itemId=4472344> You
can also review detailed budget information available on the school
department's website:  FY19 Budget Documents
<http://www.needham.k12.ma.us/departments/administrative/business_office/budgets_and_financial_documents>
 .

The School Committee encourages you to attend the upcoming Budget
Hearing scheduled
at 7:00 p.m. for Tuesday, January 16th at Broadmeadow to learn more about
the plan and voice your ideas, questions, concerns, and comments.

*•  Superintendent's Blog*  My recent post addresses district priorities
and plans: Superintendent's Blog <http://npssuperintendent.blogspot.com/>

As always, please feel free to contact me with any questions or comments:
 781.455.0400, x203 or dan_gutekanst at needham.k12.ma.us

Dan Gutekanst

Superintendent of Schools