Needham Public Schools Superintendent's Update superintendents_update at lists.needham.mec.edu
Wed Mar 2 15:09:19 EST 2016

March 2, 2016

Dear Needham Families:

Allow me to share three updates:

*•  Mitchell Principal  *I am happy to announce that Greg Bayse, currently
the assistant principal at Newman, has enthusiastically accepted my offer
to become the next principal at Mitchell beginning July 1st.  Mr. Bayse is
genuinely humbled by the appointment, and he is eager to work with staff
and families to nurture and build on Mitchell’s many traditions of academic
growth, sense of community and caring, and deep love of learning and play.

Mr. Bayse earned his BA at Houghton College in New York and subsequently
received his MSW in Social Work from Boston College and a MEd in
Educational Administration at Endicott College. Prior to his work as an
assistant principal at Newman, Mr. Bayse was a guidance counselor at Eliot
and served as a residential school director at the Walker School in
Needham.  At Newman, Mr. Bayse has focused significant time and attention
to support and guide classroom teachers who eagerly expressed their
appreciation for his efforts on their behalf.

Mr. Bayse was one of eight candidates interviewed for the principal’s
position out of 16 original applicants.  He became one of two finalists,
both of whom subsequently met with teachers, students, administrators, and
parents as part of the lengthy interview process.  Those members of the
Mitchell community and Needham Public Schools who interacted with Mr. Bayse
provided consistently strong feedback in their oral and written responses
when asked about his candidacy and readiness for this important role.

A site visit to Newman by members of the interview team was incredibly
impressive. Students, parents, and staff were excited about his leadership
potential, and they described his ability to connect with Newman’s students
and their families in a way that is caring, responsive, and genuine.  Staff
praised Mr. Bayse for his organizational ability, problem solving, energy,
and capacity to support teachers.  The 4th and 5th grade students we met
explained that Mr. Bayse develops positive relationships with students and
encourages them, as one student put it, “to be our best selves every day.”
Throughout the process it was abundantly clear that Mr. Bayse has developed
warm and nurturing relationships with students and their families.

Additional reference checking and a review of his portfolio demonstrated
that Mr. Bayse works collaboratively with teachers, encourages a high
degree of ownership in student learning and achievement, and he has
exceptional expectations for himself. Mr. Bayse’s values are consistent
with the Needham Public Schools core values of Scholarship, Community,
Citizenship, and Personal Growth. It is equally clear that Mr. Bayse is
deeply committed to the Needham community.

Many, many thanks to those staff and community members who attended
afternoon and evening forums, provided written feedback, and participated
in this important process.

Fianlly, let me also take this opportunity to extend my deep appreciation
to and affection for Dr. Mike Schwinden who has led Mitchell as principal
for 15 years. Dr. Schwinden’s influence goes well beyond the walls of the
Mitchell School—indeed it extends to all the schools in the district and
even to elementary schools as far away as Beijing.  His advocacy for
children, his intellect and perspective, his willingness to try new ideas
and programs, and his focus on details, data, and doing the right thing are
among the reasons he has been a successful, reliable, and exceptional
principal, educational leader, and friend. We all wish him the best in
retirement!

 Please join me in congratulating Greg Bayse in his new role at Mitchell!

 •  *Olin College:  Beyond Measure Screening*  (Additional Information)
 Olin College invites Needham faculty and community members to attend a
special screening and discussion of award-winning director Vicki Abeles
latest film, *Beyond Measure *on Thursday, March 10th at 6:30 at Olin
College. The film describes schools around the country that are taking
matters into their own hands and finding ways to innovate and put students
at the center of the learning experience. The film was partially shot at
Olin College, and features Olin’s collaboration with the University of
Texas at El Paso. After the screening, there will be a panel discussion,
moderated by Olin faculty member Zhenya Zastavker, and including former
Bennington College President Elizabeth Coleman, director Vicki Abeles,
Needham High teacher Hans Batra, and a student each from Needham High and
Olin.  If you are planning to attend, click the link and register:

<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/beyond-measure-presented-by-olin-college-of-engineering-tickets-20588370370>

*•  School Committee/Superintendent's Open House  *Please join members of
the School Committee and Superintendent Dan Gutekanst on Saturday morning,
March 19th from 9:00 until 10:30 a.m. in the Pollard Middle School Library
for informal conversation and coffee.  This will be a good opportunity to
meet your School Committee and Superintendent and ask questions or share
ideas and concerns.  Please stop by and say hello.

Respectfully,

Dan Gutekanst
Superintendent of Schools