Needham Public Schools Superintendent's Update superintendents_update at lists.needham.mec.edu
Tue Mar 1 12:15:06 EST 2016

Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Dear Needham Families:

Allow me to share the following updates:

*•  Last Call:  2016 Parent Survey*  Over the past month, parents with
students in grades 3 to 12 received an envelope from their principal that
included a copy of the 2016 District Survey. Parent feedback is important
to our future plans.* If you have not completed the survey, I urge you to
do so online no later than Monday, March 7th.* We will aggregate the data,
compare and contrast the responses, look at historical trends from survey
data gathered since 2001, and then share the results with parents, staff,
and community members.

Please use the appropriate ink below, choosing either the Elementary,
Middle School or High School Parent Survey. If you have children in more
than one school, simply complete the survey with your oldest child in mind.

*https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/NPS-ElementaryPARENTSURVEY2016
<https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/NPS-ElementaryPARENTSURVEY2016>*

*https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/NPS-MiddleSchoolPARENTSURVEY2016
<https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/NPS-MiddleSchoolPARENTSURVEY2016>*

*https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/NPS-HighSchoolPARENTSURVEY2016
<https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/NPS-HighSchoolPARENTSURVEY2016>*

We’re hoping for 100% participation. Many thanks for your help!

*•  Civics Bee*  The Needham League of Women Voters (LWV) will sponsor the
3rd Annual Civics Bee at Broadmeadow next Sunday, March 6th at 2:00 p.m.
Students, teachers, and community members are encouraged to participate or
attend!  For more information:  http://www.lwv-needham.org/

*•  Olin College:  Beyond Measure Screening*  Olin College invites Needham
faculty and community members to attend a special screening and discussion
of award-winnning director Vicki Abeles latest film, *Beyond Measure *on
Thursday, March 10th at 6:30 at Olin College. The film describes schools
around the country that are taking matters into their own hands and finding
ways to innovate and put students at the center of the learning experience.
The film was partially shot at Olin College, and features
Olin’s collaboration with the University of Texas at El Paso. After the
screening, there will be a panel discussion, moderated by Olin faculty
member Zhenya Zastavker, and including former Bennington College President
Elizabeth Coleman, director Vicki Abeles, Needham High teacher Hans Batra,
and a student each from Needham High and Olin.

*•  Superintendent's Blog*  My latest post, entitled *Most Likely to
Succeed*, shares information about another important learning event being
sponsored by the NEF and each school's PTC on Thursday, March 24th
beginning at 7:00 p.m. at Newman.  Please check it out here:  Superintendent's
Blog <http://npssuperintendent.blogspot.com/>

Finally, congratulations are in order for several successes students have
experienced recently:   Recently the Hillside Lego League Team was honored
by the Needham Selectmen for their unique robotics and service learning
trash recycling plan, and the NHS Robotics Team will compete at a national
competition later this month in Philadelphia*.  .  .*  55 Boston Globe
Scholastic Art Awards were received by middle and high school students,
including 12 Gold Keys, an impressive accomplishment by any measure*.  .  .
*The NHS Boys and Girls Winter Track teams each won the Massachusetts
Interscholastic Athletic Association (MIAA) Division 2 State Championship
over the February vacation, and the Boys' Wrestling Team was honored with
the prestigious MIAA Sportsmanship Award for their teamwork, great spirit,
gamesmanship, and ability to act as mature and respectful role models and
athletes*.  .  . * And best wishes to Pollard student Anthony Walsh who has
qualified for the state Geography Bee to be held on April 1st!

These are just some of the successes our talented students have achieved
with the support of superb teachers, staff, coaches, and parents.
Congratulations!

As always, please do not hesitate to contact me at 781.455.0400, x203 or
dan_gutekanst at needham.k12.ma.us

Respectfully,

Dan Gutekanst
Superintendent of Schools