Needham Public Schools Superintendent's Update superintendents_update at lists.needham.mec.edu
Fri Oct 30 14:36:23 EDT 2015

Dear Needham Families:

Allow me to share the following updates:

*•  Special Town Meeting Monday, November 2nd  *A Special Town Meeting
(STM) will convene next Monday, November 2nd and consider several community
initiatives, including two important school projects: the Needham High
School Cafeteria Expansion (Article 11) and Hillside Elementary School
property acquisition (Article 13).  As you may know, there is a need to
expand the high school cafeteria due to enrollment growth, and there is a
unique opportunity to purchase property on Central Avenue to build a new
Hillside School.  Information about the STM can be found here:  Needham
Special Town Meeting Warrant <http://www.needhamma.gov/index.aspx?NID=4024>. I
encourage Needham parents to become familiar with the information and
contact your Town Meeting representative with ideas and suggestions so they
can make informed decisions that will impact the quality of our schools and
community for many years to come.

*•  Superintendent's Blog*  My October post details why the School
Committee's decision to select the Central Avenue site for a new Hillside
school is the preferred approach and best solution:
http://npssuperintendent.blogspot.com/

*•  6th Annual High Rock/Pollard Middle School Parent Conference  *The
conference, featuring keynote speaker Robert Brooks, is entitled *Raising
Resilient Adolescents:  Tips and Strategies for the Teenage Years, *and
will be held at High Rock on Saturday, November 21st beginning at 7:30 a.m.
  For more information: Middle School Parent Conference
<http://www.eventbrite.com/e/raising-resilient-adolescents-tips-and-strategies-for-the-middle-school-years-tickets-18663151990>

*•  NHS Distinguished Career Awards (DCA) *Congratulations to the three NHS
alums who were presented today with the DCA at a ceremony with the entire
junior class:  Amy Brooks (Class of '86), radio personality at WBOS 92.9;
Kim Bookman ('94), TV reporter for WHDH/7 News; and Paul Cropper ('85),
Director of Sales for Cisco Systems.  Amy, Kim, and Paul represent the best
of NHS, and they eagerly shared their stories and suggestions with our
students as the juniors prepare for their adult lives.  Thanks, also, to
the Alumni Association and the DCA committee for sponsoring this wonderful
tradition and celebration.

Happy Halloween!  As always, you can be in touch with me via phone
(781.455.0400, x203) or email: dan_gutekanst at needham.k12.ma.us

Sincerely,

Dan Gutekanst
Superintendent of Schools