Needham Public Schools Superintendent's Update superintendents_update at lists.needham.mec.edu
Sat May 9 20:36:03 EDT 2015

Dear Needham Families:

I hope you are enjoying the wonderful spring weather this Mother's Day
weekend!   By the way...  the last day of school is a half day on
Wednesday, June 24th.  Allow me to share some important updates and
information:

*•  School Transportation  2015-16  *If your child requires bus
transportation next school year, be sure to complete the application by *May
15th* to be guaranteed a seat on the bus and to avoid an increase in the
bus fee.  If you do not complete an application, your child may not have a
seat on the bus next year!   Please call the Transportation Department at
781-455-0400 x234 with your questions.  Please also visit our web site to
check your school and street for eligibility or to download an application:
 http://rwd1.needham.k12.ma.us/transportation/

*•  Needham Parent Survey 2015*  The Needham Department of Public Health is
conducting its third Parent Survey.  The survey responses enable us to
learn about parent and guardian beliefs and perceptions regarding underage
drinking and other drug use. A complete description can be found below.
 6th-12th grade parents and guardians are asked to complete the survey:
http://surveys.ssre.org/s3/NeedhamParentSurvey2015

•  *Superintendent's Blog*  Here is a link to my most recent post:
http://npssuperintendent.blogspot.com/
•  *Congratulations to Staff!*  Congratulations to three of our outstanding
teachers who recently have been notified of the following accolades:
-  Middle school music teacher *Aaron Bush* who has received recognition as
a Quarterfinalist in the *2015 Grammy Foundation Music Educator Award*.
-  High school wellness teacher *Sam Martyn* who has been named the *2015
Massachusetts Interscholastic Athletic Association Alpine Ski Coach of the
Year*.
-  High school Spanish teacher *Keara Eagan *who has been recognized
by the*Massachusetts
Foreign Language Association for Excellence in Foreign Language Teaching.*

The work of these educators reflects the District's core values of
*Scholarship,
Personal Growth, Citizenship, *and* Community* and represent the best of
the NPS faculty.  We are proud of them and the work they do with our
children each day.

*•  Needham High School  *Despite the news of Dr. Pizzi's resignation as
principal of Needham High School, the students and staff enjoyed a busy and
productive week.  It is clear that the students did not miss a beat with
many activities, including Advanced Placement testing, athletic contests,
preparation for the weekend's play, art show, and Senior Banquet dominating
the agenda.

I appreciate the great teamwork exhibited by Acting Principal Jonathan
Bourn and the entire staff, all of whom have stepped forward to manage and
lead the school and ensure our students are the priority.  The care and
professionalism of the faculty and staff has been important as we head into
end of the year activities and events.

I have decided that we will look for an interim principal to begin at
Needham High July 1st, and I expect to be able to share a timeline for
hiring an interim within the next few weeks.

I am mindful parents and the community would like additional information
about the circumstances surrounding Dr. Pizzi's resignation.  However, I am
sure you understand that personnel matters are confidential in order to
protect the privacy of all involved.  To the degree it is possible, I will
share updates and information as appropriate in order that we can all take
steps to move forward.

In the meantime, know that we have a busy end of the school year ahead for
all of Needham's students, and are clear goal is to keep the focus on
teaching and learning.  Thanks for your patience and understanding.

As always, please let me know if you have any questions, concerns, or
ideas. My email address is dan_gutekanst at needham.k12.ma.us and my phone is
781.455.0400, x202.

Sincerely,

Dan Gutekanst