Needham Public Schools Superintendent's Update superintendents_update at lists.needham.mec.edu
Sun Nov 23 16:41:01 EST 2014

Dear Needham Families:

Allow me to share information and updates as we approach the holiday week:

*•  What is the Town Facilities Master Plan?  *Over the last year the Town
has engaged the services of an architectural firm, HKT, Inc., to help
provide guidance and planning around several Town and School building
projects as part of the Facilities Master Planning process approved by Town
Meeting.  The Permanent Public Building Committee (PPBC) will hold an
important presentation about the developing plan on Monday, November 24th
at 7:00 p.m. in the Needham Library.  Several critical School and Town
projects will be discussed, including Hillside, Mitchell, and Pollard, and
I urge parents to  become informed about the issues and challenges ahead.

*• Winter, Snow, and School Closings  *I am hoping the snow won't be flying
anytime soon, but if it does I want you to know that I will do my level
best to make decisions about delays or school closings by approximately
5:30 in the morning.  I will use email, phone, and Twitter to let parents
know about weather-related cancellations and delays.  Please make sure you
have updated your contact information by clicking here:  PowerSchool
<https://powerschool.needham.k12.ma.us/public/> . And you can follow me on
Twitter as well:  https://twitter.com/@NPS_Supt
I have been asked in the past by parents and students how much snow does it
take for me to cancel school.  Here is the clearest answer I can give: * It
all depends!  *While student safety is always my first consideration, the
forecast, road conditions, ice, and snow depth are all factors in my
decision making.  It is important for students to be in classes whenever it
is possible, and I don't believe a winter storm should necessarily keep us
away from school. If it is projected to snow about three to six inches, I
am inclined to hold school, even if it is a delay.  Whatever the forecast,
I will continue to do my best to make weather-related calls as safely and
as soon as I practically can.

•  *Parents Often Ask About Giving Teacher Gifts   *Over the
years, Needham parents have proven to be extremely thoughtful and generous
when it comes to thanking teachers and staff for their work with their
children.  Unfortunately, gift giving has become more complicated each
year, and now specific state ethics laws prohibit all staff (including
teachers, aides, athletic coaches, crossing guards, bus drivers,
administrators, etc.) from receiving even small tokens of appreciation
without the staff member filing an official disclosure of the gift. The
Massachusetts State Ethics Commission allows the following:

- A teacher may receive one class gift of up to $150 in value once per year
from the class as long as it is clear that the gift is from the entire
class and not just a few students in the classroom.  Any gift in excess of
$150 to the teacher is prohibited by law.

- A teacher or staff member may receive a gift of up to $50 in value from
an individual student/family who did not contribute to the class gift in
the example above as long as the staff member files a disclosure form with
the school system. Any gift, including gift cards, jewelry, tickets,
clothing, beverages, etc., over $50 in value is prohibited by law.

- Staff members may receive perishable items (e.g., food, flowers) up to
$50 in value as long as the staff member shares the item(s) with members of
the school community.  These items do not need to be disclosed by the
teacher.

Parents may show their appreciation to individual teachers/staff members by
making a donation to the school's PTC or to the NEF Teacher Appreciation
Cards <http://www.nefneedham.org/support/teacher-appreciation-cards/>
 program.

These organizations have well-established procedures for the distribution
of funds to schools and individual classrooms, and such donations are not
affected by State Ethics rules. If you make a donation to the PTC or NEF in
a staff member's name, that staff member does not need to file a
disclosure.  This year's deadline for NEF Teacher Appreciation Cards is
December 15, 2014.

*•  Needham Schools Spotlight: Meet New School Leaders*  Please check out
the latest cable broadcast of Needham Schools Spotlight, a conversation
with three new school leaders:  Pollard Principal Tamatha Bibbo, Eliot
Principal Rod MacNeal, Jr., and Mary Lammi, Interim Director of Student
Support Services:  Needham Schools Spotlight
<http://www2.needham.k12.ma.us/nhs/TV-nps/index.htm>

*• Congratulations to Superb NHS Students!*  Congratulations to the
Division I Championship girls' Cross Country Team for winning the state
title last weekend, and congratulations to the Boys' Soccer Team for
becoming the Division I State Champions after defeating Amherst in a 4-0
shutout last night at WPI.  It was a superb and fun game with an amazing
and enthusiastic crowd.

And a big thank you and kudos to the outstanding cast and crew of
*Rent, *performed
over the weekend by NHS Students Acting to Make a Difference (SAMD). Over
the years, SAMD has wowed audiences with wonderful musical theatre and
raised ten of thousands of dollars for charitable causes, including this
year's recipient, Cradles to Crayons. Whether they are in the classroom, on
the field, or on the stage, our students are talented, mature, hardworking,
and poised. Needham families should be rightly proud of them!

*Happy Thanksgiving!*  Finally, let me wish you and your families a
peaceful and restful Thanksgiving Holiday.  I am looking forward to picking
up our daughters at Logan and South Station later this week so we can spend
the holiday together for the first time as a family in two years!  Like
you, I am *very *grateful for my family!  I am also thankful to know and to
work with a talented staff, committed parents, a supportive community, and
the exceptional young people of Needham.

I am honored to be your superintendent, and I appreciate the opportunity
you have given me.

*Go Rockets!  Beat Wellesley!*

Dan Gutekanst, Ed.D.

Superintendent of Needham Public Schools

781.455.0400 x203