Needham Public Schools Superintendent's Update superintendents_update at lists.needham.mec.edu
Fri Dec 14 17:23:23 EST 2012

Dear Needham Families:

I am at a loss for words this evening as I write to express both grief and
outrage over the tragic and senseless loss of innocent children and the
adults who cared for them in Newtown, Connecticut.  Like you, I am in
shock over this abominable crime, especially knowing it occurred during
what should be a peaceful, joyful, and holy season for so many of our
families.

Needham's principals and I met late this afternoon to check in with one
another and discuss appropriate plans for the return of students to
classes next Monday morning and throughout the week.  I would like to
share the following information:

•  The principals will meet with their entire faculty and staff early on
Monday morning and before students arrive to discuss how to be prepared
for students.  Each teacher will receive information and a script about
what to do and/or say in the event a student raises a concern or questions
about the tragedy.

•  Guidance counselors, nurses, and others will be available and
accessible in each building to respond to children's concerns and needs as
necessary and appropriate.

•  The principals will email parents over the next few days and as
necessary to share information and updates about the school's response and
any concerns.

•  The principals suggest the following document, entitled A National
Tragedy: Helping Children Cope, may provide parents and all caring adults
with some ideas and age appropriate responses to today's events:
http://www.nasponline.org/resources/crisis_safety/terror_general.aspx

Finally, let me take this opportunity to reassure parents that we take
school safety and security very seriously in the Needham Public Schools.
Of course we can never guarantee that nothing would ever happen in one of
our schools or in the community.  What we can do is be planful, vigilant,
and proactive, particularly when it comes to our children's safety.  We
review, plan, and practice emergency responses and protocols with students
and staff throughout the year. We collaborate closely with the Needham
Police and other public safety and health officials to review plans and
procedures to maximize school safety and security.  The principals know
that attending to student and school safety is their first and most
important priority.

Over the next several days and many months to come, the heartwrenching
details and pictures will emerge as all of us try and wrap our heads
around and comprehend the depths of this terror.  For now all we can do is
pray for the victims, their families, and the parents who are grieving
tonight over the loss of a beautiful little boy or girl.

Tonight let's also make sure we hug and kiss our own children and reassure
them they are safe and that we love them.

Sincerely,

Dan Gutekanst
Superintendent of Schools

dan_gutekanst at needham.k12.ma.us