Needham Public Schools Superintendent's Update superintendents_update at lists.needham.mec.edu
Wed Mar 23 19:35:35 EDT 2011

Dear Parents and Guardians:

Please allow me to share a few updates:

•  School Committee Open House  The School Committee will hold its annual
spring Open House in the library at High Rock School from 9:00 until 10:30
a.m. on Saturday, March 26, 2011.  This is an informal opportunity for
parents, community members, students, and staff to meet members of the
School Committee and share ideas, concerns, and ask questions.  Please
stop by and enjoy a cup of coffee and conversation with your School
Committee!

•  Bullying Prevention Website  We were recently informed by the
Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE) that
the bullying prevention plan the Needham Schools submitted this past
December has met all of the department's requirements.  We have created a
resource for parents, students, and families on the district's website
that we hope will provide additional information about the district's
efforts to prevent and respond to bullying.  To learn more, please go to:
http://rwd1.needham.k12.ma.us/student_development/Bullying_Prevention

•  Sex Education Curriculum  The Needham Public Schools Wellness
Department, in collaboration with parents, community members, and the
School Committee, has been working to update the district's sex education
curriculum and program.  I encourage parents to visit the district's
website to learn more about the planned curriculum:
http://rwd1.needham.k12.ma.us/wellness/Sexuality  Parents will find useful
resources here, including a slideshow outlining recent parent
presentations, curriculum goals by grade levels, parent resources, and a
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) guide that details many parent questions
and concerns.  I am immensely proud of the thoughtful work that has gone
into the development of this program, and, like any good program, it
remains a work in progress.  Your feedback and partnership will be welcome
as we continue to refine and improve our curriculum.

•  School Transportation  2011-2012  During the last two weeks of March
applications are being delivered to all Needham Public Schools for
students in grades 1-12 offering school bus transportation for the school
year 2011-2012.  Applications will be sent home with your children.
Please review all the information and return completed applications to the
Transportation Department at 1330 Highland Avenue by May 1, 2011, to be
guaranteed a seat on the bus.  If you do not receive an application or
have any questions, please call the Transportation Department at
781-455-0400 x234.   Please also visit our web site to check your school
and street for eligibility or to download an application:
http://rwd1.needham.k12.ma.us/transportation/

As always, I can be reached at dan_gutekanst at needham.k12.ma.us or
781.455.0400, x203.

Sincerely,