Needham Public Schools Superintendent's Update superintendents_update at lists.needham.mec.edu
Fri Mar 11 11:25:37 EST 2011

Dear Parents and Guardians:

Two additional updates to conclude the week:

•  Race to Nowhere  The Needham Education Foundation, in cooperation with
the Needham Public Schools and Needham Youth Services, will host a
screening of the new documentary, [ http://www.racetonowhere.com/ ]Race to
Nowhere, on Tuesday, March 29, 2011 at 7:00 p.m. in the Needham High
School auditorium.  The film is a call to action for families, educators,
and policy makers to challenge current assumptions on how to best prepare
the youth of America to become healthy, bright, contributing and leading
citizens.   The screening will be followed by a panel discussion involving
local students, educators, and community members who will discuss the
film, its message, and implications for Needham's students.  Tickets are
$10 if purchased in advanced and $15 at the door.  To purchase tickets,
please  visit:  [ http://rtnnefneedham.eventbrite.com/
]rtnnefneedham.eventbrite.com

•  Robotics Tourney  In my update earlier this week I neglected to mention
that for the first time ever, several Needham High School students will
participate this weekend in the [
http://www.usfirst.org/roboticsprograms/ftc/default.aspx?id=968 ]FIRST
Tech Challenge State Robotics Competition on Saturday in Palmer, MA.
Motivated by high school math teacher Hans Batra and several enthusiastic
parent and community volunteers, our students will compete against the
best in the state.  To watch a Youtube video of the team, please visit:  [
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_zGIa3Ch5A ]Youtube:  NHS Robotics

Have a great weekend!

Sincerely,

Dan Gutekanst