Needham Public Schools Superintendent's Update superintendents_update at lists.needham.mec.edu
Thu Jan 28 13:10:57 EST 2010

January 28, 2010

Dear Parents and Guardians:

Two updates to conclude the week:

•  Parent Survey  Don't forget to complete the Needham Public Schools'
Parent Survey.  To date about 15%  of our Needham families have completed
the survey, and we would like to see at least 20% contribute their
perspective and ideas.    It is important that we hear from as many
parents as possible so that our educational planning can reflect the input
of a variety of constituents in Needham.  The results of the survey will
be shared at an upcoming School Committee meetings and in the annual
Performance Report.

Your feedback is important to us and we thank you in advance for taking
the time to share your opinions and comments.  Please submit your survey
by February 1.  You can access the  survey at the following URL:
http://www.elisten.com/web30/surveys/77E0127C2182442795D5278E341E805F

•  Budget Update At its meeting this past Tuesday evening, the School
Committee approved a budget plan totaling $46,059,078 for the 2010-11
school year (FY11), a 1.49% increase, or $676,193, over the current year.
You may access budget information on the school department's website by
clicking here:  [ http://rwd1.needham.k12.ma.us/finance/Budget ]FY11
Budget Information

While the budget plan preserves the programs that the community values,
there are several painful reductions in the budget due to increased costs
and limited new sources of revenue.  I want to commend the School
Committee for tackling an extremely difficult and complicated budget.
Your School Committee members have invested countless hours, early in the
morning, late into the evening, and on many weekends studying the funding
requests, making suggestions for balancing the funding plan, and
collaborating with the Finance Committee to ensure our students receive
the best possible level of resources.  I appreciate their tireless work
and energy and the wisdom and perspective they bring to their role in this
community.  It is an honor to work with a great School Committee!

For additional thoughts about the budget and next steps, please read my
blog:  [ http://npssuperintendent.blogspot.com/ ]Superintendent's Blog

As always, please feel free to contact me with questions or comments:
781.455.0400 (x203) or dan_gutekanst at needham.k12.ma.us

Sincerely,

Dan Gutekanst
Superintendent of Schools