Needham Public Schools Superintendent's Update superintendents_update at lists.needham.mec.edu
Sun Jan 10 20:06:33 EST 2010

Dear Parents and Guardians:

Let me take this opportunity to wish you and your families a very Happy
New Year!  Allow me also to share two important updates:

•  Budget Proposal  As you may have heard, the budget picture for the
Needham Public Schools this year is extremely difficult, and the
preliminary budget I shared with the School Committee in December details
several areas of reductions, including classroom teaching positions at all
levels.  The poor national and local economic climate, decreased state and
local funding, and increasing contractual and special education costs have
created the need to reduce teachers, administrative support, and classroom
supplies.  In fact, this will be the first year in recent memory where we
propose to have fewer teachers working with our students next year than we
have this year, despite growing enrollment.

Key 2010-11 (Fiscal Year '11) Preliminary Budget Highlights:

	- Reduction of 3.0 elementary classroom teachers, resulting in larger
class sizes at the 4th grade level in all schools;
	- Reduction of 2.0 Pollard classroom teachers. resulting in larger class
sizes and/or a reorganization
	- Reduction of 2.0 high school teachers resulting in decreased program
offerings and higher class sizes;
	- Reduction of administrative support and teaching assistants;
	- Reductions in professional development, support services, educational
and athletic supplies

The School Committee is currently considering a 1% increase in the budget
for next year when, in reality, we need close to a 5% increase just to
maintain a current level of services for the 2010-11 school year.
Unfortunately, we face additional reductions for the 2011-12 school year
due to the significant decrease in state and local revenue and aid.  The
School Committee is working closely with the school administration,
Finance Committee, and Town Manager's office to ensure that student and
school programs are minimally affected, but it is a significant challenge,
and one that all communities are facing this year and next.

The Needham School Committee invites you to attend the upcoming Budget
Hearing scheduled for Wednesday, January 20th at 7:00 p.m. at Broadmeadow
to learn about the budget proposal and share your comments, questions, and
concerns.  It will be critical for parents to weigh in on the budget and
offer your perspective and voice.  You may view an outline of the NPS FY11
Preliminary Budget at the district's website: [
http://rwd1.needham.k12.ma.us/finance/Budget#FY11 ]NPS FY 11 Budget
Proposal

•  Parent Survey  Below you will find a link that will take you to a
survey that seeks your opinions and comments regarding the performance of
the Needham Public Schools.  We administer this survey every two years so
that we can consider parent input as we plan and implement improvements to
our educational programs.  A summary of the results of this survey will be
shared at a School Committee Meeting in March and will also be posted on
the Needham Public Schools Student Development website at that time.

You may find the 15 minute survey link here:  [
http://www.elisten.com/web30/surveys/77E0127C2182442795D5278E341E805F
]2010 NPS Parent Survey

The survey will take about 15 minutes to complete and I ask that you
complete it by February 1, 2010.  If you have questions about the survey
or the procedures, you may contact me at dan_gutekanst at needham.k12.ma.us

As always, please feel free to contact me with questions or comments.

Sincerely,

Dan Gutekanst
Superintendent of Schools