Needham Public Schools Superintendent's Update superintendents_update at lists.needham.mec.edu
Wed Nov 25 14:23:49 EST 2009

Dear Parents and Guardians:

A few updates to begin the Holiday weekend:

•  H1N1/Flu Update  Overall, our absentee rate due to flu in the school
system is quite low, around 1 to 2% of all students.  We have held two
successful flu clinics so far at Eliot and Hillside, and we will continue
to hold clinics under the direction and supervision of the Needham Health
Department as the vaccine becomes available.   We did learn that nine
students at Eliot were among the 47 Needham residents and town employees
who inadvertently received the seasonal flu vaccine, but the students are
fine and will receive the H1N1 vaccine as soon as possible.

•  Commitment to the Community  In all our schools, students, staff, and
parents reach out regularly to learn more about local and global issues
and to help others.  Two recent examples come to mind:  Eliot capped off
their successful [ http://www.roomtoread.org/Page.aspx?pid=261 ]Room to
Read  program by presenting John Wood, author of Leaving Microsoft to
Change the World, a check for $4,000 to assist his organization as it
builds school libraries in developing countries.  As part of the
exceptional effort by the Eliot community, our students learned about the
countries and students they were supporting and, in the process, read over
250,000 pages of books as part of the project!  At Needham High, dozens of
seniors have been working during a physical education class to provide
physical fitness instruction and guidance to local senior citizens with
whom they were paired as "buddies" for the last several weeks.  The unique
"Senior to Senior" program, supported by a Needham Education Foundation
(NEF) grant, paired our students with an older "buddy" to assist them with
weight training, walking, running, and overall fitness.  It has been an
awesome opportunity for younger and older generations to interact, learn
from one another, and have fun.  Of course, the senior citizens were
thrilled to meet and work with our students.  Congratulations to all of
our students, staff, and parents in each school who consistently
demonstrate their commitment to the community.

•  Student Award  Congratulations to two Needham High School students,
Joanna Glanz and Aseem Mehta, who received the Massachusetts Association
of School Superintendents' (MASS) Award presented annually to two
outstanding seniors who have demonstrated exemplary academic success in
high school.  These two young people, both of whom are at the top of their
class, clearly represent the finest of our students and their hard work
and passion for learning reflects the values of the Needham Public
Schools:  Scholarship, Citizenship, Community and Personal Growth. Thanks
to their teachers for encouraging them and to their parents for supporting
them.

Lastly, let me wish you and your families a peaceful and restful
Thanksgiving Holiday.  I am looking forward to spending time with my three
beautiful daughters (Elyse, Claire, and Nora) and loving (and very
patient) wife, Karen.  I am very thankful for them!  I am also thankful to
know and to work with a talented staff, committed parents, a supportive
community, and extraordinary young people like Joanna and Aseem.

I am honored to be your superintendent, and I appreciate the opportunity
you have given me.

Sincerely,

Dan Gutekanst

Superintendent of Needham Public Schools
781.455.0400 x203
dan_gutekanst at nnedham.k12.ma.us