[Superintendent's Update] Superintendent's Update (Revised)

Needham Public Schools Superintendent's Update superintendents_update at lists.needham.mec.edu
Fri Nov 6 17:45:26 EST 2009

REVISED AND UPDATED!

Dear Parents and Guardians:

Two quick updates to conclude the week:

•  Flu Update   Currently, about 4% of students and faculty/staff in the
Needham Public Schools are experiencing symptoms of the H1N1 influenza.
Daily surveillance is monitoring the incidence of student and staff
absences and influenza like illness. Your cooperation with keeping ill
children home and not giving them fever reducing medications prior to
school is very important in preventing the spread of flu germs among
classmates and adults. We encourage healthy children to continue attending
school during this flu outbreak.

In an effort to prevent widespread disease from the H1N1 flu in the school
community, the Needham Health Department is planning to administer the
2009 H1N1 Influenza Injectable Vaccine to children in grades K-12 with
parent consent. The vaccination clinics will be held during the school day
and staffed by school and town medical  staff and volunteers. If you did
not receive information about the vaccination clinics and a consent form,
please contact the school nurse immediately.  All vaccine consent forms
must be submitted by Monday November 9, 2009.  If you have not completely
filled out and returned the vaccine consent form to school, your child
will not be vaccinated.

The first flu vaccine clinic held at Eliot this past week was successful
and the children tolerated the vaccination with resilience and smiles.
Plans for flu clinics to be held in each of the schools are being prepared
and will be implemented as soon an adequate vaccine supply is available.
 Since delivery of the vaccine is arriving in unpredictable and limited
quantities, the scheduling of the clinics may occur with a few days notice
for schools and parents. You will be informed prior to the day your child
is scheduled to receive the vaccination.

Vaccine consent forms and information about the H1N1 Flu and vaccine is
posted on the[ http://rwd1.needham.k12.ma.us/health_services/ ]NPS Health
Services  website.

•  Newman Renovation  Parents and members of the community continue to
 ask if there will be additional opportunities to learn more about the
proposed Newman renovation project.   I have been invited to speak at a
few upcoming events that you are welcome to attend:

-Monday, November 9th Citizens for Needham Schools (CNS) is sponsoring an
informational program about the project at the Needham Historical Society.
 Selectmen, School Committee members, and I will present an overview of
the plans and answer questions.
-Thursday, November 12th the Newman PTC has invited me to update parents
about the proposed renovation.
-Thursday, November 19th the Mitchell PTC has invited to join them for a
conversation about the plans.

A 20 minute cable show highlighting the planned renovation will also
broadcast beginning this weekend according to the following schedule:
Channels 3, 26, and 31:  Sunday at 10:00 p.m., Monday at 4:30 p.m.,
Tuesday at 3:30 p.m., Wednesday at 3:30 p.m.  Check out the [
http://greisnet.com/tnc.nsf/Main?Openpage ]The Needham Channel  website
for more information.  We will also have it available online next week.
Folks may also visit the school department's website:  [
http://rwd1.needham.k12.ma.us/newman_renovation_updates/ ]Newman
Renovation Updates to learn about the project.

•  2009-10 District Goals  The Needham School Committee recently approved
goals for the school district.  The goals will guide the NPS staff as we
work together to improve our schools and student learning this year and
beyond. Please visit the school department's website and click on the link
on the front page to download a pdf: [ http://www.needham.k12.ma.us/
]http://www.needham.k12.ma.us/

Enjoy the weekend!

Dan Gutekanst