Needham Public Schools Superintendent's Update superintendents_update at lists.needham.mec.edu
Thu May 28 11:08:03 EDT 2009

May 28, 2009

Dear Parents and Guardians:

Allow me to share a few updates about happenings in the Needham Schools:

•  Newman Elementary School  Earlier this month Town Meeting approved
$450,000 to develop schematic designs for a renovation of the Newman
School's heating and ventilation system and related infrastructure.  The
funds will also be used to help design a relocation plan for Newman's
students and staff during the renovation period.  As you may know, the
School Committee voted recently to use available space at Pollard for
Newman's Preschool, Kindergarten, and KASE students during a renovation.
Grades 1 through 5 would be located in modular classrooms on the Newman
campus during the renovation.  The design funds will be used to help
develop a specific renovation and relocation plan that can be reviewed and
approved by the School Committee and Permanent Public Building Committee
(PPBC).

While we continue to collaborate with the Massachusetts School Building
Authority (MSBA) to develop the project's scope and costs, the School
Committee and PPBC will need to work on a timeline for the renovation.
The Town is also committed to maintaining the existing systems at Newman
and responding and repairing as necessary until a renovation project can
begin, likely in 2011.  So much remains to be done, and there will be
ample opportunity for Needham families to assist with the effort as we
move forward.

•  High Rock School is on schedule for completion and the anticipated move
in later this summer.  The new principal, Jessica Downey, and the 6th
grade staff are hard at work planning for the arrival of our new students.
 They will update the School Committee next Tuesday evening, June 2nd,
about activities and programs.  Needless to say, they are very excited
about the school and the opportunity it presents for this community and
our young people!  Updates may be found at this link on our website:  [
http://rwd1.needham.k12.ma.us/high_rock_info/ ]High Rock School
Information

•  Student Art and Music Programs  I hope parents have had opportunities
to view the exceptional artwork and projects on display at the high school
and Pollard over the last week or so.  In addition, a variety of student
concerts and performances have been scheduled in each of the schools from
now until the end of the year.  Please check out the [
http://cfweb.smartedu.net/smartcalendar/needham.cfm?myCalendar=71&thisdistrict=0007&CurDate=05/01/2009
]Performing Arts Calendar for specific venues and dates.

•  Superintendent's Blog  In an effort to share ideas and information
about education and the Needham Public Schools, I invite you to visit my
new blog, [ http://npssuperintendent.blogspot.com/ ]Superintendent's Blog
.  I hope to post to the blog at least monthly and hope this will provide
an additional way to communicate with you and for us to share ideas with
one another.  I welcome your input, feedback, and comments.

Finally, congratulations to the Needham High School Class of '09 who will
graduate Monday evening, June 8 on Memorial Field.   They (and their
parents!) have worked hard and deserve our warm and hearty congratulations.

As always, please don't hesitate to contact me:  781.455.0400, x 203 or
dan_gutekanst at needham.k12.ma.us

We are off to the concluding weeks of school!

Dan Gutekanst, Ed.D.
Superintendent of Schools