Needham Public Schools Superintendent's Update superintendents_update at lists.needham.mec.edu
Fri May 22 13:20:37 EDT 2009

May 22, 2009

Dear Parents and Guardians:

In light of recent media attention related to the Swine- Origin Influenza
A (H1N1) or influenza-like illness and to keep everyone in the school
community fully informed, we are providing an update about the incidence
of influenza A and influenza- like illness in the Needham Public Schools.
We want to inform you that there are students and staff who are
experiencing symptoms of influenza in the district.

We learned today that there is one Needham High School student who was
recently diagnosed with a confirmed case of Swine- Origin Influenza A
(H1N1). The student has been out of school since being symptomatic and is
recovering well without complication. As with seasonal flu, it should be
assumed that influenza-like illness is currently in the community and
being exposed is always a possibility.

The Needham Public Schools are being vigilant in monitoring student and
staff health and enhancing infection control. To that end we are:
· Working directly with the Needham He· a· l· t· h·
  · D· e· p· a· r· t· m· e· n· t·  · a· n· d·
  · f· o· l· l· o· w· i· n· g·  · t· h· e·  · m· o· s· t·  · u· p·
  · t· o·  · d· a· t· e·  · g· u· i· d· e· l· i· n· e· s·  · f· o· r·
  · s· c· h· o· o· l· s·  · b· y·  · t· h· e·
  · M· a· s· s· a· c· h· u· s· e· t· t· s·
  · D· e· p· a· r· t· m· e· n· t·  · o· f·  · P· u· b· l· i· c·
  · H· e· a· l· t· h· .·  ·
· R· e· i· n· f· o· r· c· i· n· g·  · w· i· t· h·
  · s· t· u· d· e· n· t· s·  · a· n· d·  · s· t· a· f· f·
  · a· b· o· u· t·  · g· e· r· m·  · p· r· e· v· e· n· t· i· o· n·
  · t· h· r· o· u· g· h·  · t· h· e·  · p· r· a· c· t· i· c· e·  · o· f·
  · g· o· o· d·  · h· a· n· d·  · w· a· s· h· i· n· g· ,·  · u· s· e·
  · o· f·  · h· a· n· d·  · s· a· n· i· t· i· z· e· r· ,·  · a· n· d·
  · p· r· o· p· e· r·  · c· o· u· g· h·  · e· t· i· q· u· e· t· t· e·  ·
Encouraging routine cleaning of classroom surfaces likely to be
contaminated
· Dismissing students and staff who are ill with influenza-like illness
  are from school and advising them to remain home for at least 7 days
  even if symptoms resolve sooner, and those who are still sick after 7
  days, are to stay home until at least 24 hours after they have
  completely recovered
Monitoring the patterns of student and staff absence and dismissals due to
  illness in all grades

We ask that all families please review and follow guidelines issued by the
MDPH to help you monitor the health of your child and make informed
decisions about when it is appropriate to keep them home from school. To
minimize the transmission of flu, we reiterate that everyone, children and
adults, should protect themselves by
  · Washing hands frequently
Keeping hands away from your mouth, nose, and eyes
Staying away from people who are sick
Covering a cough and sneeze
Keeping your child home if he/she is sick.

Flu outbreaks evolve in unpredictable ways, thus it is impossible to know
whether this one will decrease or grow in the coming weeks. The school
nurses and the Needham Health Department are available for any questions.
For further updates and information please check the NPS Health Services
website [ http://rwd1.needham.k12.ma.us/health_services/
]http://rwd1.needham.k12.ma.us/health_services/.

Thank you for your understanding and assistance as we respond to the
outbreak of influenza illness and balance health concerns with the
educational mission of our schools.

Sincerely,

Daniel E. Gutekanst
Superintendent of Schools