Needham Public Schools Superintendent's Update superintendents_update at lists.needham.mec.edu
Fri Mar 6 15:48:02 EST 2009

Friday, March 6, 2009

Dear Parents and Guardians:

A few updates as we conclude the week:

•  2009-10 Calendar  A reminder to families that we will be starting
school next fall before Labor Day:  Wednesday, September 2, 2009 is the
first full day of classes.  You can find the school calendar on the
district's website: [
http://www.needham.k12.ma.us/calendars/documents/Pupil_Calendar_09-10.pdf
]2009-10 School Calendar  As of today, the current school year will
conclude on Tuesday, June 23rd (Newman will conclude on Friday, June 26th)
if there are no additional snow days (Let's hope!).  We will update this
information on our website as appropriate.

•  School Committee Open House  The School Committee will hold its annual
spring Open House in the Needham Library Community Room on Saturday, March
14, 2009 from 9:00 a.m. until 10:30 a.m.  This is an informal opportunity
for parents, community members, students, and staff to meet members of the
School Committee and share ideas, concerns, and ask questions.  You can
visit for five minutes or for however long you would like.  Please stop by
and enjoy a cup of coffee and conversation with your School Committee!

•  Newman Update  Last week representatives from the Massachusetts School
Building Authority (MSBA), including Executive Director Katherine Craven,
visited Newman to discuss the status of the town's request to the MSBA for
funding to renovate the heating and ventilation (HVAC) system.  Several
town and school officials, including Representative Lida Harkins,
presented an update and information to the MSBA about the various indoor
air quality and HVAC problems at Newman.  We were immensely pleased to
learn that the MSBA expressed their willingness to enter into a fast-track
design process to identify a project scope and cost.  The School
Committee, Permanent Public Building Committee (PPBC), Selectmen, Finance
Committee, and town and school administrators will continue to work with
the MSBA to identify costs and options for the likely relocation of
students and staff during a renovation/construction project at Newman that
could begin, at the earliest, in the summer of 2010.  It is my expectation
that we will work closely with the Newman community to discuss options and
ideas as we move forward with planning.  School Committee Chair Michael
Greis and I will attend Newman's upcoming PTC meeting on March 31st to
update parents about our progress.  Ultimately, of course, Town Meeting
and Needham's voters will need to approve funding for the renovation of
the building.  Parents are also welcome to attend upcoming PPBC meetings
to learn about some of the construction options and ideas being discussed.
 Information about the PPBC and a schedule of meetings can be found on the
town's website:  [ http://ma-needham.civicplus.com/index.asp?NID=633
]Permanent Public Building Committee Information

•  School Space Needs Committee   Next Wednesday evening, March 11th from
6:00 until 7:30 p.m. in the Needham High School Media Center the [
http://space.nehoiden.net/ ]School Space Needs Committee  will share its
preliminary findings and recommendations.  The committee, comprised of
representatives from various town boards, parents, school administrators,
and community members, has been meeting since December to review school
space issues and needs in the Needham Public Schools.  The committee will
share its work and ask for input from interested parents and community
members prior to their formal presentation to the School Committee on
March 17th.  More information about the committee, including documents,
school data, and enrollment trends, may be found on the link indicated
above.

Best wishes to our girls' basketball team and the boys' hockey team as
they compete in post season play this weekend!

As always, I can be reached at dan_gutekanst at needham.k12.ma.us or
781.455.0400, x203.

Have a great weekend.

Sincerely,