Needham Public Schools Superintendent's Update superintendents_update at lists.needham.mec.edu
Fri Dec 21 16:39:34 EST 2007

Friday, December 21, 2007

Dear Parents and Guardians:

•  As the flakes fly and students look anxiously out the window
anticipating next week's vacation, let me take this opportunity to wish
each of you a restful and peaceful holiday.

Now in my second year as superintendent, I have had additional
opportunities to see and understand more clearly the wonderful work the
teachers and staff do with our students each day.  I continue to be
impressed with the level of dedication, creativity, and professionalism
they bring to each school and classroom.  It is a real honor for me to
work within the Needham Public Schools.

I am very pleased that the School Committee adopted this fall the four
core values of Scholarship, Citizenship, Community, and Personal Growth
and three goals to support these values and what we fundamentally believe
to be our work in the schools.  As the school year continues to unfold,
teachers and staff will work together with the School Committee, parents,
and the community to ensure we have a common understanding of these goals
and how they might be implemented throughout the system.  This will be
challenging but, I think, very exciting and enriching work.

We will also work with the town to ensure we have the resources we need to
achieve these goals and nurture the close connection and relationship that
exists between each child and teacher in every classroom.  Unquestionably,
the budget for the 2008-09 school year will be extremely tight, and we
will need to be creative and make thoughtful decisions about what we can
afford and how we can deliver the best possible educational program with
available resources.  I encourage parents to follow the budget discussions
that will take place throughout January and into the winter months.

•  I also encourage parents and students to enjoy New Year's Eve in
Needham:  Join the community for a celebration of art, music, dance and
magic on December 31st from noon to 10:00 p.m.  Check out the schedule of
events at  [
http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001lpYAE8mFiQWmFMxErGgliDyhtry4QQeD4k33OOsFWJJ5FzofIp9ZXxH28ZxD0wusZQKwBFjI2fZKZ-ktkHpG6JnY2MjBWBS8Mn-FJBT8P397SBp98Vjpbw==
]  www.needarts.org  Your $5 button admits you to all events at venues
throughout town.  Buttons may be purchased at the Parks and Recreation
office, Needham Public Library, the Selectmen's Office, Taylor Stationery,
Roche Bros., Sudbury Farms, YMCA Charles River Branch or online at [
http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001lpYAE8mFiQUix7_-Qj2EahqJcHhmbVaZMbswvlmyDi2Yz1wIH8DPNsThw_7cT1QBjPBydT5ZlFr8atnwPD7JBVe7KsDZVGD_QQXCY1zUxzA=
]www.mktix.com

As always, I can be reached at dan_gutekanst at needham.k12.ma.us or
781.455.0400, x203.