Needham Public Schools Superintendent's Update superintendents_update at lists.needham.mec.edu
Tue Dec 4 07:21:59 EST 2007

Dear Parent and Guardians:

A few updates:

•  The Needham Public Schools seeks your input about school programs
through your participation in an online survey that will take
approximately 15 minutes to complete.  The information received will help
us gain a better understanding of what is most important to our parent
community in the areas of Student Learning and Growth, Parent
Satisfaction, Educational Planning, Staff Expectations, Financial
Performance, Student Services, and Curriculum. The results of this survey
will be included in the 2008 Needham Public Schools’ annual Performance
Report.

Please complete the survey by December 21, 2007. If you have questions
about the survey or the procedures, you may contact me.  Here is the link
to the survey:   http://www.questionpro.com/akira/TakeSurvey?id=811691

•  Tomorrow evening I will present my preliminary budget recommendation to
the School Committee. I believe the budget details the resources we need
to move our schools forward and provides each child with an opportunity to
grow and learn. I look forward to the budget presentation and the
subsequent conversation with the School Committee and other town boards
and officials about the needs of our students and schools.  There is no
question, however, that this will be a challenging year for the town and
school budgets, especially as we look to provide the same level of service
for students while balancing, for example, increased energy and health
benefit costs. The work ahead for the School Committee will be difficult,
and I urge you to participate in the process and communicate your concerns
and ideas in the weeks and months ahead.  Let me take this opportunity to
thank the Town Manager, Selectmen, Finance Committee, and the School
Committee for their guidance and advice as we work together on behalf of
the schools and the community.

•  Let me also take this opportunity to wish our families who are
celebrating Hanukkah a peaceful and joyful holiday with your family!

As always, I can be reached at dan_gutekanst at needham.k12.ma.us if you have
a question or concern.

Sincerely,

Dan Gutekanst