Needham Public Schools Superintendent's Update superintendents_update at lists.needham.k12.ma.us
Tue May 10 16:14:31 UTC 2022

Dear NPS Families:

A few quick updates:

*• Health and Safety*  We continue to monitor COVID case counts locally and
within the schools.  Our positive COVID cases and cases of the flu have
increased recently, and I urge every parent to be vigilant around your
child's health.  Please test regularly if you are participating in our at
home testing program and complete the daily health attestation.  Yesterday
about 80% of our families completed the attestation, but we need 100%
participation from all students and families in order for us to continue to
provide a healthy learning experience.  *Thanks for your attention to this
daily responsibility.*

*• 2022 Family Survey* The Needham Public Schools values your feedback!
Starting on Monday, May 16th, we are conducting the biennial district
survey for parents/guardians of all our students in grades Pre-K through
12. Two years ago, the 2020 District Survey
<https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Jk-KBaO28eB4KD3KSwgbUvoUgmNNET8g/view?usp=sharing>
included
student and staff reflections on remote learning. This year's survey will
provide data to help measure progress on the District priorities in
our Portrait
of a Needham Graduate Strategic Plan
<https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JhQD6_BwU2rESaPxdLgG1JKJj_Fpp3cK/view>.
The survey also will allow each school to celebrate strengths, monitor
trends, and respond to areas of challenge in our work.

The district has partnered with Panorama Education
<https://www.panoramaed.com/> to administer the survey. Panorama safeguards
your privacy, keeping your responses confidential. The survey takes no more
than a few minutes to complete, and will be a valuable resource of
information as we plan for next school year.

*Next Monday, May 16th I will email all families the survey link and we
will keep the survey open through June 3rd as we aim for 100%
participation!*

*• "10 Minutes with..."  *Please check out my latest ten minute video
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHPgND3nSqs> featuring Pollard students
and math teacher Sarah Burns who share their excitement around the new Data
Science math program at Pollard.

*• Town Meeting *This week at the Annual Town Meeting, the NPS Budget for
the 2022-23 school year
<http://p13cdn4static.sharpschool.com/UserFiles/Servers/Server_64429/File/Departments/Administrative/Business%20Office/FY23%20Budget/Final%20Budget%20Book%20Merged.pdf>
was
unanimously passed and after many years and several studies (going back to
1947!), Town Meeting voted to provide design and construction funds for a
complete renovation of the Emery Grover
<https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/19eGFTPaORoZrx4z3nS27T4zeC0Rq50tj/edit?usp=sharing&ouid=103927596265011240038&rtpof=true&sd=true>
School
Administration and Operations Building. The proposed design will provide
accessible and modern facilities for our staff, and a beautiful conference
space that will accommodate community and staff meetings. I am incredibly
grateful for the Needham community's continued and strong support of our
schools, staff, and students.

Respectfully,

Dan Gutekanst
Superintendent of Schools
Needham Public Schools
1330 Highland Avenue, Needham, MA 02492
*He/His/Him*
781-455-0400 x11203
dan_gutekanst at needham.k12.ma.us

ATTENTION: If you speak a language other than English, language assistance
services are available to you free of charge. Contact your child’s school
for assistance.

Chinese (Simplified): 请注意:如果您的母语不是英语,我们将免费提供您语言辅助服务。如需协助,请与您孩子 的学校联系。

Spanish: ATENCION: Si usted habla un idioma que no sea el inglés, hay
servicios de asistencia lingüística disponibles gratis. Contacte la escuela
de su hijo para asistencia.

Russian: ВНИМАНИЕ: Если вы не говорите на английском языке, для вас
доступны бесплатные языковые сервисы на вашем языке. Обратитесь за помощью
в школу, в которой учится ваш ребенок.