Needham Public Schools Superintendent's Update superintendents_update at lists.needham.k12.ma.us
Wed Nov 24 19:32:59 UTC 2021

Dear Needham Public Schools Families:

Allow me to share the following updates:

• *Inclement Weather *In the unlikely event winter weather may require the
closing or delayed opening of the Needham Public Schools, I will do my
level best to make a decision about a cancellation or delay by about 5:30
a.m.  Unless it is abundantly clear what the weather conditions will be, I
am often reluctant to call off school the evening before a storm is
predicted because New England weather is fickle.  Once a decision is made,
alerts will go out via email, phone, and on local TV.  The quickest way to
find out is on Twitter <https://twitter.com/NPS_Supt> where I also post the
information.
For more information on school cancellations and delayed openings: Inclement
weather information
<http://p13cdn4static.sharpschool.com/UserFiles/Servers/Server_64429/File/District/No%20school-2%20hour%20delay%20parent%20%202021-22%20%20.pdf>
.

Finally, it is important for students to be in classes as scheduled
throughout the year, and I don't believe a winter storm should necessarily
keep us away from school.  If it is predicted to snow, for instance, four
to six inches I am inclined to hold classes. There are circumstances,
however, when the snow is minimal but icy and dangerous roads may prevent a
safe school opening or at least require a delay.  Safety for students and
staff, of course, will always be my first consideration.  This coming
winter parents and students should leave plenty of time to get to school
and keep a shovel and galoshes nearby!

*• 10 Minutes with Chief Schlittler  *Please check out my latest 10 minute
video, produced courtesy of the amazing TV students at NHS and
featuring Needham
Police Chief John Schlittler <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egBdNw1yWXg>.
Together we talk about the role the police play in our schools, and we
discuss our recently signed Memorandum of Understanding
<http://p13cdn4static.sharpschool.com/UserFiles/Servers/Server_64429/File/Departments/Superintendent's%20Office/MOU%20Needham%20Police%20&%20Schools%2011-12-21.pdf>
.

*• Thank a Teacher with NEF Gratitude Cards  *A donation to the Needham
Education Foundation (NEF) is a special way to thank a teacher in your
student’s life. NEF Gratitude Cards help provide vital support for the
funding of teachers' innovative ideas and professional development
opportunities through NEF grants. Gratitude cards can be purchased at Proud
Mary, Roche Bros., Sudbury Farms, and Volante Farms through December 22nd or
Gratitude Gram e-cards can be ordered online and NEF will send your
personalized message on your behalf. All cards are $10 each. Visit
www.nefneedham.org/support/cards  <http://www.nefneedham.org/>for more
information.

• *NHS Student Accolades  **Where to begin??*  Recently Students Acting to
Make a Difference (SAMD)
<https://sites.google.com/needham.k12.ma.us/samd/charity?authuser=0>
 performed *The Little Mermaid* to enthusiastic crowds and raised $7,000 to
donate to The Ocean Conservancy
<https://sites.google.com/needham.k12.ma.us/samd/charity/ocean-conservancy-resource-page?authuser=0>
as
part of their commitment to serving the greater good and community.

Congratulations to the Girls Volleyball Team
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/15JtrqSrYL7u21UZpW0gviz2zY73E0g__aZzQ_noY1IU/edit?usp=sharing>
for winning the Division I State Championship for Needham High School again
this year!  The Team was also awarded the Massachusetts Interscholastic
Athletic Association (MIAA) Sportsmanship Award for exceptional teamwork,
fairplay, and discipline. Kudos and congrats to our Unified Basketball Team
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bTNc9YWKg0Sz74A0diLH4Q-KpEvEs2p7IV7lnlJwqyc/edit?usp=sharing>
for an undefeated season; the Dance Team
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xM1ngxJdM1eG-G-woaB4XZOFIGPllaSsFM9WDxi7Scc/edit?usp=sharing>
for taking Third Place in the championship; and to senior Kyler McNatt for
placing 2nd at the State Cross Country Championship
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1539q63uw4kKnkKdI-D36maGmr5BT9tyW2LGd-RYO_8o/edit?usp=sharing>
!

All of our students and their teachers and coaches bring us honor with
their dedicated and spirited efforts, and we are proud of them.

• *Happy Thanksgiving!*  We are fortunate to live, work, and learn in an
amazing community like Needham that values children, and we are especially
blessed to be citizens in a vibrant country that serves, however
imperfectly, as a model of democracy, inclusion, and justice to the rest of
a sometimes weary world.  I know I am grateful for my family and to work
with a talented staff, committed parents, and the exceptional young people
of Needham - all of whom inspire civility, peace, and hope.  *Happy
Thanksgiving!*

Dan Gutekanst
Superintendent of Schools
Needham Public Schools
1330 Highland Avenue, Needham, MA 02492
781-455-0400 x11203
dan_gutekanst at needham.k12.ma.us

ATTENTION: If you speak a language other than English, language assistance
services are available to you free of charge. Contact your child’s school
for assistance.

Chinese (Simplified): 请注意:如果您的母语不是英语,我们将免费提供您语言辅助服务。如需协助,请与您孩子 的学校联系。

Spanish: ATENCION: Si usted habla un idioma que no sea el inglés, hay
servicios de asistencia lingüística disponibles gratis. Contacte la escuela
de su hijo para asistencia.

Russian: ВНИМАНИЕ: Если вы не говорите на английском языке, для вас
доступны бесплатные языковые сервисы на вашем языке. Обратитесь за помощью
в школу, в которой учится ваш ребенок.