Needham Public Schools Superintendent's Update superintendents_update at lists.needham.k12.ma.us
Thu Mar 12 01:59:08 UTC 2020

March 11, 2020

Dear Needham Public Schools Families:

Due to concerns about the spread of the Coronavirus (COVID-19) and after
consulting with Needham Town/School officials and the Needham Department of
Public Health, we have decided to cancel all non essential evening and
community events, including parent meetings and conferences, in the Needham
Public Schools effective immediately and until further notice.  Similar
restrictions have been implemented by the Town for all municipal buildings.
Additionally, all currently planned field trips will be canceled. Schools
will remain open for our students and staff and classes in all schools will
continue as scheduled and planned.

I understand the decision to restrict our schools and campuses to the
students and staff of the Needham Public Schools and to focus our students’
learning only within the confines of the Needham community may be
unsettling, but I believe it is prudent and will allow us to prioritize
student and staff health and wellbeing in our schools.

Here are some examples of events that will be canceled beginning Thursday,
March 12th:

   -

   Community events and meetings in school buildings
   -

   Student performances, including the high school musical
   -

   PTC meetings and other parent events, including parent conferences & IEP
   meetings
   -

   Adult education classes
   -

   Use of buildings by non-school groups
   -

   School-sponsored field trips

NEDP will continue to offer before school and after school care at our
elementary schools, and after school clubs, practices, and activities run
by school staff as well as after school programs run by Needham Community
Education will continue. Middle school and high school athletic tryouts may
also continue, but we will not have spectators at athletic events until
further notice.

The cancellation of many wonderful activities and events will be
disappointing to students, staff, and community members who have worked so
hard to prepare and plan. I am hopeful, though, if we can limit activities
and focus student learning within our community, we will be doing our part
to curb the spread of the virus and reduce the risk of infection.

Finally, the news of the spread of COVID-19 changes quickly, and it is
always possible that we will need to take further steps that will impact
school operations and teaching and learning. Please know that we will work
closely with our public health partners, the MA Department of Elementary
and Secondary Education, and our school staff to take appropriate steps and
provide necessary and timely information.

Please refer to the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
<http://www.needham.k12.ma.us/cms/One.aspx?portalId=64513&pageId=32087589>
document that we have developed; we will update this FAQ in the days ahead.

As we continue to focus on the needs of your children and our community, I
thank you for your understanding, patience, and genuine support.

Sincerely,

Dan Gutekanst

Superintendent of Schools

Needham, Massachusetts